Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating geraniums

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 21:30

I have a number of geraniums I would like to propagate. But I live in zone 3. Is it possible to take cuttings off my current plants. Then grow or keep them over the winter, so I can plant them again next spring?

I have one geranium that I have managed to over winter in my basement for 3 years now. But it dies back every year and starts all new growth in the spring. This is one of the plants I would like more of.

The other geraniums I usually end up buying every year. I can't seem to keep them over the winter.

I do not have a heated garage, or a cool basement. My basement is usually warm, around 65 all winter. And in the spring as soon as the snow starts melting the basement is damp. ( that's what you get in a 100 year old farm house )

Thank you
Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating geraniums

When I lived in Germany I used to cover my geraniums with burlap. They would die back some but would always be hearty in the spring. When I want to propagate a geranium, I just use a cutting and throw it into a jar with fish emulsion and place it in a sunny window for the window.

o

Thank you, I don't think the burlap would work here. These are in pots, and we get very very cold. I think I will take some cuttings, pot them up and see what happens.

Jenny P

o

tender geranium are very easy to propagate from cutting, just push the cutting into the soil in a cooler shady area or under other plants - you can cover it with half coke bottle (take the cap off).
To overwinter tender geranium, wash the whole rooted plant to remove the dirt let it dry out; then put it in a paper bag and store it in a dry place. Re-pot the plant around the middle of March making sure you cover it with clear plastic sheet to provide consistence humidity; you will be amazed how good they will perform. Seham

o
Overwintering Geraniums

Overwintering Geraniums:

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering Geraniums

o

Thanks!
Although I think I might have waited to late to try this. I don't have an area inside my house to keep plants in a sunny window all winter. And we will have frost here any day now. I think I will try to root a couple cuttings, just to see if I can. I will also try to keep the potted geraniums over winter again, as I have in the past. The only one I have ever had success with is the pink one. And I have no idea which variety or cultivar it is. I inherited it from my mother in law 3 years ago.

Jenny P

o

• Posted by kes_cor Z5 Chicago, IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 30, 06 at 12:31

Propagating geraniums is very easy. Use a light soil mix with extra perilite. Take cuttings about 3 - 4" long. Strip off lower leaves, only leaving the top 2. If leaves are big, cut them in half.

NOW, let them dry out to callous. Usually 24 hours. This keeps them from rotting. Once I learned this, I have almost 100% success.

Plan them in individual 3" - 4" pots. They'll seems flimsy. They'll come back!

Mist with water every day or two.

Plants will start growing in about 3 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here