Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovebnretired

I've got the Propagating Blues

lovebnretired
15 years ago

Boy O Boy do I ever have the Propagation Blues.

I have traded for shrub cutting from various people. Immediately put them in newly made forsytha pot propagation chamber. Things were going along great.

THEN there was a storm here. It knocked over my set up and I did not realize it.

THEN the family Boxer, puppy, was put out for morning exercise and I still did not realize what was happening.

THEN the Boxer came back in proudly carring in her mouth one of the chewed up cutting.

THEN after holding my breath so not to scream I fell to my knees and begged to Dog to come and share her prize.

THEN she did, playfully giving me every piece in her mouth.

THEN I got myself pulled together to face the death seen in the back yard of my treasured cuttings.

O, YES everyone of them had been carefully chewed and skattered across the back yard.

I immediately put root hormone on each piece of any decent length and incerted them in the renewed chamber.

This chamber is on the back covered patio on top of a 6 foot cabinet. In case of a storm I will bring it in.

Out of the 37 cuttings I now have 54 battle scared pieces of what I do not know. None were wearing Dog Tags when the battle began so their is not positive ID ing them.

Pray for them,,,,,they will need God's help if they are to survive the "Attack of the Dog".

Comments (11)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohh my!! lets just hope that GOD does his best to make them one happy home for you!! LOL i can imagine your feeling!! trust me!! i've had lots of different dogs, mostly lost due to poor living area's and parvo area's. but that's another story, so when first got into gardening, my dog when we moved here, which i thought was a great area, not a poor neighbor hood or anything, we had a very nice little garden, bagonia's, mexican petunia's, some things i have no idea of, LOL and when i came home the little booger got out and just loved my little shade garden to death litterly!! OMGoodness, i just loved him and put everything back and prayed for it to grow. eventually it did, i learned that if it has roots just because the top is gone doesn't mean the plant is gonna die, LOL even if it is chewed to death!! do you know i even still have my mexican petunia and some of my begonia. that is so cool!! so yours is just gotta/gonna make it, mist, mist and talk to them!! :') that's what i did. Hugs ~Medo

• noinwi
    15 years ago

Puppies...you gotta love 'em! I learned to fence in my garden after losing several newly planted roses to our old guy when he was a puppy.
    Many years before that, I purchased a flat of ivy(didn't know how to propagate back then)that I planted along a fence line. Yup, a puppy I had at that time pulled up every last one. I've learned a lot about gardening from puppies! LOL!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I live in the woods with the natives that were here first. The squirrels dig up my my bulbs and plant walnuts in their place. The deer keep my roses pruned to prevent their flowering. My containers are turned over every night by Raccoons looking for worms under the pots. The record I have to set upright in the morning is now up to 67, up to 5 gallon size. Al

• lovebnretired
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calistoga,

I feel you pain......
    Don't we love our gardening animals.

• golfngardennut
    15 years ago

I have found the best thing to do is to teach them the command "dig here"... then they can help you when you are planting... and by association they know "no dig"! It is very useful to have the dachshunds dig your holes for you...

Of course, my new ACD's aren't digging - they are simply eating the plants - and I have no use for the command eat here" ;-)

I plant in pots, and have resorted to putting the dog pen around the plants - to keep the dogs OUT. ;-)

• lovebnretired
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is so funny.
    Everyone here is rolling....
    We put a lot of love and care into both plants and animals.
    I had not thought about putting the plants in the dog cage but that would work.
    The dog hates it and stays away form it...HA HAAAA

• flowerchild5
    15 years ago

I know this is a belated message but i share your pain. I don't have a dog but i have kids and cats. I did a couple hundred cuttings of various things, mostly lavander and rosemary and sedums. I went to Oklahoma for 9 days to be with 5 day old grandson. Came home and ALL the cuttings were dead. nobody watered ( i had asked them too. they missed all the cuttings) the cats walked on the flats. disassembling alot of them. SO.... I redid all my cuttings. I got called out to do disaster relief in galveston for 2 weeks. after 4 days of being gone i called to find out no one had watered my greenhouse at all. inside or out. it was supposed to rain. well, rain doesnt go in the greenhouse!! I did lose a few cuttings but not too bad. I redid them again!! I have a small home nursery and am trying to prepare for next season and its getting difficult. Hopefully, i wont be going anywhere soon. I do get to pot up a bunch that are ready now.
    Tanya

• lovebnretired
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flowerchild5,

Yes sounds like you have the "Blues" double time. So sorry to here about the losses. It is always good to visit loved ones but to have to start so many cuttings over and over is a lot of work.

Many of the ones here on GardenWeb that had mailed me the original dog attacked cutting were kind enough to mail more once word got out about the loss of mine.
    Thank God for all those generous people most everything was replaced and is now rooted.

Hope your not call away from home anytime soon. Fall is a busy time for all gardners.

As with all gardners, I day dream of having a greenhouse.

• marcejen
    15 years ago

Every morning we let the 2 dogs out. When they come back in, I get out, and starting North, I check all the new plantation, walk the all fence, check all the flower beds.
    Then I take "Max the gardener", 19 Months old 95 lb and bend his head toward the damages while repeating NO, NO. Then, I collect the poo-poo and put it at the base of the replanted plant....This one will be safe for at least 3 days if it does not rain!
    I collect the cats' poo-poo out of the litter boxes and put it where I have bulbs after loosing most of them last year.
    Those 4 four-legged children are spoiled, but I want my flowers too...so I just learned "fixes". Now Spring will be back and with the blooms You will be ble to label your plants...you have to talk to them, give them quality time, they will return the favor x 100

• lovebnretired
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My neighbor has 3 indoor cats. What she does to keep squirels away form bulbs is:
    Use a clean vacuum cleaner bag, vacuum upholstered furniture, take bag out and empty contents on top of where bulbs are planted.

I do not have cats yet so I have ask her for some cat hairs - I have offered to empty and return the harly used bag. We will see if it works.

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

marcejen- kitty poos are doggie treats!!! Even with cat litter on them. So they may scare the squirrels, but they will attract the doggies...I guess that the dogs think they are tootsie rolls or something- LOL!!