Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Velvet plant seeds

Posted by doris836 z5 IN (doris8362000@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 23:26

Can any one tell me how you collect the seeds from this plant and what do the seeds look like/ This is my first year growing these and I want to save the seeds. Thank you for your help. Please message me. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Velvet plant seeds

this is usually a house plant.. there is a house plant forum.. where you might get a wealth of knowledge... otherwise i care not where you post ...

these things root in water.. in about 20 minutes.. i dont know why you would want to deal with seed ...

root some pieces.. grow them indoors for winter ... come 6 weeks before last frost.. root up a dozen of so cuttings.. getting them ready to take outdoors .. when weather allows ...

many tropical or semi-tropical house plants.. may not make viable seed.. simply because the season.. up here. .. is not long enough for the seed to ripen ...

WAG'ing here.. so maybe i am wrong

ken

o
RE: Velvet plant seeds

First, want to make sure, you're talking about Gynura? Was your plant outside when it flowered? Theoretically, if bees or moths or some critter pollinated the flowers, they should make seeds. But not all flowers make seeds, plants can be self-sterile, seeds are viable but produce species instead of hybrid or cultivar, or any number of issues with seeds in general could be possible from there.

Aside from confirming those basics, it's not something I've heard of being done before. Anxious to hear more also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here