Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Petunias in Water

Posted by SummerPerson 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 0:32

If you have propagated petunias in water, please describe some specifics of how you did it. How long were the cuttings, how many leaves left on? ... About how long did it take for the petunias to develop roots? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Petunias in Water

hey summer ....

no one has replied .... i dont know the answer ...

but do you have a greenhouse for this job ???

i see this as a full sun [not inside a window] plant that needs high humidity ....

rooting it .. might be the least of your problems.. should you succeed ... if you are simply playing around in the house ....

ken

o

I have a small backyard greenhouse that was built by a building contractor. I've heated it the past two winters. It heats with one or two small electric heaters. It's just a slightly expensive hobby for me--not a money making venture. I'm just going to have to experiment and see what works for petunias.

o

i googled : propagating petunia by cuttings

which led me to the link below ..

wherein it is said:

PROPAGATING PETUNIAS FROM CUTTINGS

Named varieties of petunias, especially the doubles, may be propagated by inserting cuttings in pots of sandy soil in a cold frame in September.

The rooted cuttings must be wintered in a greenhouse with a minimum temperature of 45 degrees

===>>> otherwise it seems that most peeps do it from seed ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here