Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chetak1

Philodendron clipping growing in water?

chetak1
12 years ago

I have had the Philodendron plant for couple of years now in a pot. It grew but most of the leaves (older ones) fell off, so I landed up with a several long vines with no leaves. It however had leaves towards the end (new ones).

Hence I decide to clip off the vines with no leaves and grow the rest of it in a pot of water until they get some roots. The problem here is that all the leaves are now turning yellow and falling off in that pot of water. I have about 6-7 vines together in there.

How can I save the plant?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

how long are the vines you are trying to root ..???

take one or two ... clip to about 4 to 6 inches.. cut on a diagonal ... let dry for a day or two ... to reduce rot probability ...

dampen some media.. fill small pot .... dip in rooting hormone if you have it ... insert cuttings .. cover with plastic bag ... cross fingers ....

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Are you able to post some pics?

It's not about the length of the pieces, but about the growth nodes available on each piece. Each node has the potential to create a whole new plant. The growing tips of each vine are the most vigorous but other sections of vine can be propagated, and have a much higher chance of success if there is at least 1 leaf. The younger the section of vine you are trying to propagate, the higher rate of success you will have.

Ideally, you would want the growth tip with 2-3 lower nodes, like this:
    {{gwi:1179205}}

There are 2 nodes between my fingers and the cut. You can see the "root buds" at each point where there was a leaf. Both of these nodes should make roots and send out a new growth tip. If all goes well, the original tip will keep growing, and there will soon be 2 more tips from these nodes when they take root. Sometimes the node closest to the cut will rot and not take root. For this reason, I almost always use cuttings with 2 nodes as roots. For this particular plant, I have found no difference in success rate from rooting cuttings in water or by just sticking them in pots with other plants (in the dirt.) Both are about 99% effective for growth tips, less but equally (water vs. soil) effective for mid-stem cuttings.

12 years ago

i agree .. either way ...

but ambient humidity with the furnaces coming on.. MIGHT make a difference..

with multiple pieces.. try multiple options

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

That's a good point, Ken.

And I forgot to say above, the 2 nodes below my fingers are what I would put in the water or soil. If doing it in soil, I would try to put it as horizontally as possible without causing the leaves to be in contact with the soil. This would increase the likelihood of both buried nodes sending up a new tip. It's why I chose this particular piece to cut for show'N'tell, I like the plant I envision growing from the curled shape of it.

• chetak1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the advice.

The vines that I cut were pretty long (~ 2-3 feet). I didnt want to loose out of the leaves :(

I will try with a shorter vine and like you said with 2-3 nodes. Also let them try out for a day or so.

12 years ago

any # of feet is too much.. will probably rot and die before it ever rooted ..

since we are experimenting... why not try any 4 to 6 inch piece.. instead of just the tips ...

of course.. if you succeed ... you will have a couple hundred plants.. lol ...

ken

• ajohnson215
    8 years ago

I'd like to post a question about a philodendron I'm trying to save but I can't figure out how. Can someone help me?

• ajohnson215
    8 years ago

Maybe I'll just post it here and see what happens.

I have a philodendron that seems close to dead IMO. I'd really like to save it but I have no idea how. It has no leaves left. I'm reading about nodes and cutting them off and putting them in water or soil. I can try that but if someone has some further guidance for me, I'd appreciate it.