Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron clipping growing in water?

Posted by chetak1 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 2:44

I have had the Philodendron plant for couple of years now in a pot. It grew but most of the leaves (older ones) fell off, so I landed up with a several long vines with no leaves. It however had leaves towards the end (new ones).

Hence I decide to clip off the vines with no leaves and grow the rest of it in a pot of water until they get some roots. The problem here is that all the leaves are now turning yellow and falling off in that pot of water. I have about 6-7 vines together in there.

How can I save the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron clipping growing in water?

how long are the vines you are trying to root ..???

take one or two ... clip to about 4 to 6 inches.. cut on a diagonal ... let dry for a day or two ... to reduce rot probability ...

dampen some media.. fill small pot .... dip in rooting hormone if you have it ... insert cuttings .. cover with plastic bag ... cross fingers ....

ken

o

Are you able to post some pics?

It's not about the length of the pieces, but about the growth nodes available on each piece. Each node has the potential to create a whole new plant. The growing tips of each vine are the most vigorous but other sections of vine can be propagated, and have a much higher chance of success if there is at least 1 leaf. The younger the section of vine you are trying to propagate, the higher rate of success you will have.

Ideally, you would want the growth tip with 2-3 lower nodes, like this:

There are 2 nodes between my fingers and the cut. You can see the "root buds" at each point where there was a leaf. Both of these nodes should make roots and send out a new growth tip. If all goes well, the original tip will keep growing, and there will soon be 2 more tips from these nodes when they take root. Sometimes the node closest to the cut will rot and not take root. For this reason, I almost always use cuttings with 2 nodes as roots. For this particular plant, I have found no difference in success rate from rooting cuttings in water or by just sticking them in pots with other plants (in the dirt.) Both are about 99% effective for growth tips, less but equally (water vs. soil) effective for mid-stem cuttings.

o

i agree .. either way ...

but ambient humidity with the furnaces coming on.. MIGHT make a difference..

with multiple pieces.. try multiple options

ken

o

That's a good point, Ken.

And I forgot to say above, the 2 nodes below my fingers are what I would put in the water or soil. If doing it in soil, I would try to put it as horizontally as possible without causing the leaves to be in contact with the soil. This would increase the likelihood of both buried nodes sending up a new tip. It's why I chose this particular piece to cut for show'N'tell, I like the plant I envision growing from the curled shape of it.

o

Thanks all for the advice.

The vines that I cut were pretty long (~ 2-3 feet). I didnt want to loose out of the leaves :(

I will try with a shorter vine and like you said with 2-3 nodes. Also let them try out for a day or so.

o

any # of feet is too much.. will probably rot and die before it ever rooted ..

since we are experimenting... why not try any 4 to 6 inch piece.. instead of just the tips ...

of course.. if you succeed ... you will have a couple hundred plants.. lol ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here