Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

bougainvillea cuttings in water with green puffs showing

jbclem
11 years ago

I just pulled some bougainvillea cuttings forgotten in a cup of water for 2-3 weeks. One had some small green leaves poking out, and one had a some clusters of green puffs. Looking at them with a hand microsope I could see these puffs of green material has pushed out through the brown covering (not really bark yet?) of the cutting. When I let it sit for a hour out of the water, these puffs dried up a bit and were much less puffy, but still green. Placed back in the water for 10 minutes and they became puffy again. They look healthy, but I don't know what they are...since they are in clusters they couldn't be buds, so I'm hoping they are the beginning of a rooting process. I could see what looked like green bumps on the surface of some of the puffs. Sorry, I didn't think to take any photos before I planted them.

I've dipped this cutting, and the other two, in rooting gel and planted them in transparent plastic cups with a sand (large grains) and peat mixture. They're on a heating pad with plastic bags around each one.

Any thoughts about that these green puffs could be. They were definitely coming out of the cutting, so I don't think they are a foreign growth/fungus. They weren't at the end of the cutting, but about one inch up from the end. And not associated with any branch crotches.

I've called them puffs because they seemed to be dome like, but not jagged. That could be the wrong description, but it's all I've got right now.

John

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022