Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bougainvillea cuttings in water with green puffs showing

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 3:05

I just pulled some bougainvillea cuttings forgotten in a cup of water for 2-3 weeks. One had some small green leaves poking out, and one had a some clusters of green puffs. Looking at them with a hand microsope I could see these puffs of green material has pushed out through the brown covering (not really bark yet?) of the cutting. When I let it sit for a hour out of the water, these puffs dried up a bit and were much less puffy, but still green. Placed back in the water for 10 minutes and they became puffy again. They look healthy, but I don't know what they are...since they are in clusters they couldn't be buds, so I'm hoping they are the beginning of a rooting process. I could see what looked like green bumps on the surface of some of the puffs. Sorry, I didn't think to take any photos before I planted them.

I've dipped this cutting, and the other two, in rooting gel and planted them in transparent plastic cups with a sand (large grains) and peat mixture. They're on a heating pad with plastic bags around each one.

Any thoughts about that these green puffs could be. They were definitely coming out of the cutting, so I don't think they are a foreign growth/fungus. They weren't at the end of the cutting, but about one inch up from the end. And not associated with any branch crotches.

I've called them puffs because they seemed to be dome like, but not jagged. That could be the wrong description, but it's all I've got right now.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bougainvillea cuttings in water with green puffs showing

in water??

algae??

what.. no pic????

ken

o
RE: bougainvillea cuttings in water with green puffs showing

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 20:23

Algae grow in colonies don't they, they grow together. These puffs were sometimes next to each other, but not growing into each other. They were distinctly coming out of the stem, with the hand microscope I could see the bark opening up and splitting around the green puff.

I regretted not thinking of taking a photo immediately after I planted the one cutting. I might unplant it just for a photo if I can get my camera's macro lens to work properly.

Algae images: http://www.google.com/search?q=algae+photo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here is a link that might be useful: Algae images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here