Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Newbie with Simple Question for new Maple Growth

chickencoupe
10 years ago

Hey all. I robbed the bank! I'm really shocked.... about the tree, not the bank. I pulled a leaf with a 6" stem from the young healthy maple tree at the bank. I brought it home and made some rooting hormone from my local poplar trees. Dipped the lower portion in the hormone, stripped all the leaves but the very top 2. I potted it in some used mix that looked like a good starting soi. I believe it's peat and I can see some perlite in there. I placed a cloudy vegetable bag over it and kept it moist but not soggy.

OK. It's in a small plastic pot.. about 5" diameter and about 6" tall. Then, I placed it in the corner of my covered porch on a open show-case shelf. Seemed the perfect spot away from any direct sunlight but exposed to the excellent temperatures we've had this fall (70-85).

It has sprouted roots. It's only been 2 weeks!

Being the newbie with too many questions for self-control or patience, I uncovered the roots to see them. 2 of them grew out at that "point" .. don't know what you call it. And they are about 1" long each.

Those top 2 leaves aren't dead but really dry. I can see green and a tiny bit of new growth at those 2 "points" on the stem above the soil. (The place where new growth for leaves or roots occurs. Sorry, don't know what it's called.

It's getting colder... down to 45 degrees at night.

I have no idea what to do with it, to begin with. But, especially, I don't know what to do with it getting colder.

Do I leave it out there? It'll be a couple weeks before the first freeze.

This will be used as a bonsai.. not real sure how I'll work that in. I need to order a book about bonsai, really.

I'd appreciate any suggestions so I don't kill it.

If I bring it indoors I have a light issue, but with a lot of fussiness I could probably help it survive.

Do I need fert it with worm tea? Now? Later?
Will it survive outside this young?

Comment (1)

• yiorges-z5il
    10 years ago

you need to help the tree procede as it would if it was left in the wild...let it go dormant.....
    to survive the winter keep the soil damp- not wet. no fertilization till spring light of some importance but temp around 40F is the the most important thing (along with soil moisture)