Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root SH cuttings in Late Fall indoors?

Posted by ibmdcb MA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 9:54

I am looking to root some cuttings from my yard. I did some research and figured that I need to do hardwood cuttings in late late fall or early spring for plants like Junipers.

But what about those need semi-ripe cuttings like hollys, false cypress, arborvitae, and boxwood? I know it is probably late, but I don't want to wait another year. If I root them now, indoors, as I don't have a cold frame, what do I do if they root? Should I keep them indoors for the whole winter? Would it be a probblem for them to skip a winter, which is kinda unnatural? lol.

I am really just a newbie. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root SH cuttings in Late Fall indoors?

IF they had been in a "cold frame" the cuttings would start to callace as long as soil temp above freezing. then start to root in the spring
will get the same results if take cuttings of firm new growth in the sppring & root.
IThe only reason Istart these cuttings in the fall is there is nothing else to ppropagae in this space & I NEED the space in the spring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here