Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting raspberries

Posted by godsgreenearth_farms Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 10:40

Hello all! I transplanted some raspberry yesterday. It's a bit later than I wanted it to be but, alas here we are. I used some humic acid and mild fish fert to try and encourage root growth ASAP. we have been getting pretty good frosts here and I'm a bit worried about them taking root. Any input on what should expect? Death? :)

Also I mulched them pretty heavy and covered them with buckets, totes, etc. In order to keep some warmth in there. Do I need to remove the buckets during the day? And replace in the evening?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting raspberries

FYI if anyone does want to post an answer/help:
I went ahead and removed the buckets today as it's 50 degrees + and sunny. The plants have little to no foliage but I think the sun will hopefully help the roots in establishing. Gonna put buckets back before night fall. Try to trap some of that heat.

o

If you got a decent amount of root mass, I don't understand your concern. As long as your ground isn't frozen down at root level, the plants will be able to get moisture and shouldn't have a problem. With 50-degree days, root growth can still occur and establishment can begin. If you feel the buckets are helping, do make sure to take them off during the daytime. I can see the buckets possibly causing more problems than they help. The mulch was a good idea!

o

@ brandon7:thank you for your response. We definitely don't have deep down root zone freezing going on yet but we have had several hard frosts this week which is why I used the buckets. Maybe not a necessary. Glad I took em off today. I'll keep em off during the day and replace to try to keep some frost protection for the canes and possibly slightly higher root zone temp.

o

@ brandon7:thank you for your response. We definitely don't have deep down root zone freezing going on yet but we have had several hard frosts this week which is why I used the buckets. Maybe not a necessary. Glad I took em off today. I'll keep em off during the day and replace to try to keep some frost protection for the canes and possibly slightly higher root zone temp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here