Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I put my Viburnum cutting outside for the winter?

Posted by lyndapaz 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 11:37

I lost my beautiful, fragrant, deciduous viburnum to borers. My SIL had a similar plant so I took a cutting this Spring. It successfully rooted. It has grown a little in height. No new leaves. Seems happy enough in a pot on my windowsill. But I was wondering if it needs to be outside for the winter and drop its leaves. It is still quite small (about 4 inches tall) so I'm not sure it would survive a deep freeze since it has been inside all this time. Can anyone tell me whether it should go outside or spend the winter in the house and plant in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I put my Viburnum cutting outside for the winter?

I would definitely move it outside. You could always provide a little protection from the cold. An unheated building is one way to do it, but you could also make a covering out of breathable material (burlap, the straw mats sometimes used for planting grass, etc).

o

Thanks, Brandon. Tonight is the first night that they are predicting a moderate freeze. And we have had no frost warnings before this. It has been an unusually warm October until now. I think I'll wait until it warms up a bit (I'm sure we will have a few more warm days) and then move it out so it won't be too much of a shock. Do you think I should keep it in the pot or plant it in the ground? Not enough light in my shed to keep it in there through the winter.

o

I think you're right about waiting. A few cool nights would be better than a sudden cold night.

The shed would be used after the weather starts turning cool (and the viburnum has dropped it's leaves). No light would be needed.

o

Great! Thanks for the advice. Hope it's roots are strong and it survives through the winter.

o

Viburnum are generally cold hardy and it will probably only be a question of whether the roots freeze. If I were you I would move it outside and mulch it well. For a couple of weeks untill the roots are well established you should keep it moinst an cover it at night.

o

Thanks, Charlie. I think putting it in the ground will be better protection for the roots than keeping it in the little pot. I can pile leaves on it to try to keep it warm. It's so tiny though that I really worry that it is too small to be outside, but then obviously keeping it indoors is not natural for it. We don't have another freeze warning for the next week so right now I have it on my deck. Do you think I should plant it asap?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here