Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfl_gw

Rooting Mint Cuttings?

johnfl
16 years ago

Hello all- first time poster in the Garden section here, but I've been active in the Pool Forum for awhile now.

I'm very much a novice, part-time gardener. Mainly, my wife and I enjoy working on our landscape on the weekends. My question today involves the rooting or propagation (not sure if I am using this term properly) of mint plants. I am a mojito fanatic, and am trying to grow the appropriate mint here at home. Right now, we are buying mint from the grocery store that I've been unable to properly identify and track down at a nursery.

The fresh mint we are buying at Publix grocery stores comes in a ziploc bag and seems quite fresh. The leaves are lush, green and very "alive" looking. Additionally, the source of the fresh mint appears to be somewhat local- a major greenhouse operation within 75 miles of home (Tampa area).

I guess my first question is this- "Is there enough life left in this mint to successfully get a cutting to root?". If this answer is "Yes", then I would ask what would be the proper way to get cuttings to root?

The package claims that this mint is "Yierba Buena". However, I know that this name is sometimes used as a generic term for mint in general. I believe there is a mint of this namesake that originated in Cuba, but I would be surprised if this is it. My wife and I agree that it smells like spearmint, but the leaves are much larger and better-looking than what we normally see in Home Depot, etc. I assume this could be attributable to excellent growing conditions at the professional greenhouses.

I thank you all in advance for any help you could provide. This quest for the right mint has been a crazy one, and I am hoping that what I am trying to do is indeed possible. I just need a little experienced guidance, if you will.

Thanks again..... I've got a heck of a mojito recipe to share if anyone is interested.

Comments (8)