Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best way to move plants rooted in water to soil?

Posted by eileenlynch WI 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 12:16

I LOVE the idea of rooting things in water, but a few times I tried this and got roots, but the plants perished when I moved them to a pot. Could someone give me a few pointers on what I might have done wrong. Many thanks. Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best way to move plants rooted in water to soil?

Partially fill the pot with your mix, hold your rooted plant by the foliage and keep the roots just on the top of the soil. While holding in this position add more soil to the level desired. Lightly firm the soil. Set the pot in a bath of slightly warm water about halfway up the pot. Leave until the surface of the soil glissons from the water. Remove pot and put in shady area for a few days. Al

o

The info Calistoga provided is very good. If you don't succeed doing it this way, try dipping the delicate roots into a thin mud slurry first before inserting in the soil. This apparently protects the thin plant hairs. You might also try just gently sprinkling the soil over the roots and not tamping it down, and then misting the soil thoroughly to prevent the roots from breaking off. Make sure you keep them in shade or cover them with a plant propagator hood for the first few days to keep the humidity high.

o

Many thanks for these suggestions! I think my main problem may have been not getting adequate moisture to the newly transplanted roots. I will hope for better success with these new ideas.

o

Yet another method is to leave the plants in water (you might want to put them in individual containers) and add coarse sand or fine aquarium gravel (anything that won't float or absorb water) until the roots are covered. Then allow the water level to decrease via evaporation until the plants adapt to the solid substrate, at which point it's an easy transfer to soil in a pot.

All this having been said, I still think it's easier and less traumatic in the long run to root most things in a perlite/vermiculite mix. I mainly use the water method to hold cuttings until I have time to transfer them to soil, usually before roots begin to form. Right now I have several jars of coleus, sweet potatoes, salvias, etc. sitting in windows waiting for planting, since I take hundreds of cuttings right before the first frost is forecast (last weekend).

o

I rarely do any rooting in water but I use bubba62's procedure if I want to plant one in soil that has been rooted in water.

o

Hope you don't mind eileenlynch but I have a Q for Bubba:
When you root in vermiculite/perlite mixture how do you transfer them to the soil? Is this used to help establish better roots or for some other reason?

o

It is used to keep contaminates out of the soil that could harm the plant in the process. Once it is established, then introducing full soil is appropriate as now the plant can protect itself better.

I root in homemade soil that includes compost, which has worked well overall for me, but I fully understand that others don't want to take even a small chance that their soil might introduce something bad to an unestablished plant. Some actually bake their soil first to kill everything in it, good or bad. I think you should try different things and find what works best for you. That's what I decided to do!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Hello,

im looking for a little advise, i have recently took some willow cuttings and rooted them in water, i would like to know how would be best to move them into soil as i am a little worried the roots are a little delicate. also the top of the clipping has gone a little brown will this stop them growing right would i be best to clip it off to where it is all green.
thank you if you can provide some advise for me

o

Jema, hi & welcome to Gardenweb.

If you start a new discussion (and preferably add a pic of your plant,) your question should be noticed more easily/quickly and get the most appropriate responses.

o

hello, purpleinopp, thank you for your advise,

i think i have sorted it now potted them in soil and new leaves are growing already. i will try this though as i feel all the advise i can get on this will help to get them growing big and strong :) x

o

Sounds great, fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here