Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Star Creeper (Laurentia Fluviatilis, Isotoma)

Posted by janet_ann Z6 (NJ) (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 12:17

Blue Star Creeper (Laurentia Fluviatilis, Isotoma) has been the ONLY plant (in 10+ years) that I've grown sucessfully between my stepping stones.

I probably needed the "invasive nature" of this plant in my situation.

Anyway, because I need to plant between a pretty big stretch of stepping stones, I welcome any suggestions on propagating it.

I presume it must be propagated from the plant itself because my search for seeds was a failure. (I seem to have bad luck with ANY seeds anyway.)

So two questions:

1. Must I take part of the root system (divide the plant) to propagate, or can I simply plant the "above surface" cuttings? (I hate to disturb their root systems because I finally got something to take hold, and also there is an abundance of "above surface" growth that could be trimmed before it dies off in the upcoming Winter.)

2. In any case, should I presume propagation works best in Spring, or could I take some cuttings NOW (before they die in the Winter), and then root (somehow) and overwinter them in my house/garage/porch for planting next Spring? I have some "ROOT JUICE" Cloning Gel, and some decent sunlight on my enclosed porch.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Janet (Zone 6 -- New Jersey)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Star Creeper (Laurentia Fluviatilis, Isotoma)

I think that dividing the plants is the best idea at this point in the year. Then in the summer, when new growth firms up a bit, take cuttings. Maureen

o

Thanks Maureen,

I think I'll just wait until next spring and buy more plants, and then divide them up (rather than disturbing the root systems already in place between the stones).

Thanks again for your reply.

Janet

o

whichever you do add some lime in spring...they love it

o

Thanks bobbygil!

Do I ask for "Lime" fertilizer?

(Sorry, I'm very bad with garden jargon & don't know about fertilizers!)

Thanks,
Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here