Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palazzophoto

Storing Persimmon Scion

palazzophoto
10 years ago

I have collected some scion wood from various american and asian persimmon trees in the area and am storing them in the refrigerator in freezer bags with damp newspaper.
Do you think if i wait till March to graft them they will still be good or do i greatly reduce the chance of them "taking" by keeping them in the fridge for such a long period of time?

I am looking for anyone who has had first hand experience with storing scion for longer periods of time and the results that they experienced. thanks!

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Do I detect a Rand-Paul-like response in this thread?

Anyway....one thing Charlie forgot to copy was that the scions need to be placed in a plastic bag (I use the extra large Ziplock/Hefty/etc freezer-type bags).

Dipping the ends is not really a necessity. It probably is a good idea, but I don't do it. The USDA's NGRP, at least from all of my experience with them, doesn't either.

Another thing that I think got lost in the original article is that the 10% figure is not 10% chlorine (yes, I know that's what it says). The original author almost certainly was referring to using 1 part sodium hypochlorite (normal household) bleach (already diluted considerably to somewhere around 5%) with 9 parts water. A truly 10% solution would be pretty dang strong!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Article

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

I dunno. I usually collect my scionwood while it's dormant - usually in late Feb, and on into March here in southern KY.
    Fall-collected scions? - I'm presuming yours weren't even dormant yet in z8 - don't know how much success you'll have with them.

If you can go back and collect truly dormant scions during mid to late winter, before they begin 'awakening', I think you'll likely have better success - and they will 'keep' for months. I've grafted as late as mid-June (probably could go longer, but usually don't have free time available) with dormant-collected scionwood stored in the fridge.

• desigarden
    10 years ago

Hi
    Where can I get scion wood? looking for persimmon, mango (mallika variety), jujube and guava.
    Thanks

• dj31787
    8 years ago

Hello everybody, can anybody help me to get some persimmon scions, i would like to try to graft my older tree, i will pay for them. Please send me a message if somebody can help me, Julia Thanks my email dj31787@gmail.com

• peter_out
    7 years ago

The best way to keep persimmon & in fact all dormant scion wood is to wax it with paraffin wax like that candles are made of. The method is simple: Melt paraffin in a double boiler, that is a pot in a larger pot of water & heat until the wax is very very hot in fact the hotter the better. Then make sure you have a container of cool water right next to the wax & dip your scion a bit over half its length into the hot wax & immediately into the water to instantly cool & set the wax. Then turn the scion about & dip the other end to just over half & repeat the dunk in the cold water. If the wax is hot enough you will have your scion completely encased in a strong & if hot enough wax is used almost clear coating. It is easy to do lots of scions very quickly this way. This makes storage until grafting time easy as all you have to do is wrap them in a plastic bag & pop them in the refrigerator. A second advantage to this method is that you have a ready waxed scion which grafts better being protected from drying & other problems while healing. The buds push right on through the wax which sometimes can still be partially protecting the scion right into the 1st growing season. If you are going to use the stored scions for chip budding it still works fine though care should be taken not to contaminate your carpentry while making the bud with smeared wax from your fingers. A further trick is to keep your scion wood chilled before you do the waxing, this makes the coating even thinner & harder though it is still vital to dip the waxed scion straight into the cold water to fully set the wax & prevent any damage to the buds.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio