Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
promise you won't laugh?

Posted by festucablue (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 13:07

Totally new at this, plan to order some plants for next year, but confused about when should the bulbs / roots / plants be delivered to me? Do I order now, and keep them under the sink till next year, or do I wait to order...?

This is for a summer place in NJ, I will not be going there before spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: promise you won't laugh?

Many companies will not ship plants/bulbs/roots when there is a danger of freezing. SO>>> I would want them dilivered in the spring..... Seed amy be shiped at any time.

o

Sounds like I should not order anything before the weather is good for planting. Thank you.

o

order them whenever you want... most reputable sellers.. ONLY ship at appropriate planting time ....

your problem might be that you will not be at the summer place .. at the appropriate planting time ...

there are summer bulbs .... that do NOT go into the ground until the soil is warm enough.. there are fall planted bulbs.. that go in now and bloom in spring ...

frankly .. i think you ought to rely on local sellers near the summer house.. who sell zone appropriate stock locally ... though you may pay more.. you will be able to rely on them for supplying proper plants .. for the zone of the house... and for planting at the time you are there .... otherwise.. you may seriously complicating your life to save a buck or two by buying online .... my gut tells me your gardening learning curve isn't at that point yet ...

good luck

ken

PS: nothing is meant to be stored under the sink ... unless the sink is in the root cellar .. lol ...

o

Ken, I appreciate your response and did not mind the teasing. And yes, you guessed correctly my place on the gardening learnig curve.

My summer house is 1 hour away from any garden centers, that is why I am trying to buy them online; choosing appropriate plants is not a problem, I already know what grows in the area and what does not, plus knowing the zone helps. Also my nature is to experiment and I always look for things that are different.

So back to my question, I guess I should look at other online sources; the one I chose, freetreesandplants, (it's not really free but they use the proceeds to create jobs....), apparently does not use planting times as a guide for shipping.

o

You can check Brent and Becky's bulbs. They may be out of somethings you might want this year, but there are other places to order bulbs too. Google 'bulbs' to find some of them, or visit the bulb forum at Garden Web.

This site will give you an idea of what is available.

Good Luck!

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent & Becky's bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here