Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting grapevine cuttings

Posted by svanessa 9/10- Ramona (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 13:51

I took several cuttings in early Sept from a couple grapevines on my grandparents old ranch in Sacramento, CA. The property is soon to be cleared for development so I had no choice but to take what I could at this time.

I've had them in damp newspaper, bagged and in the refer since coming home. I took them out today to see if they were still viable and they are. Mold was starting to grow so Ive cleaned them with a toothbrush and a 10% bleach solution. I've never rooted grape cuttings before and dont want to chance loosing these. I live in San Diego County in the backcountry. No soil to speak of, more sandstone than anything, so burying the twigs as I've read is not doable.

I was thinking of using a garbage can and filling it with vermiculite and burying the twigs upside down in this. We get very little cold weather maybe 4-7 days below freezing and very little rain either. Should I keep the vermiculite damp thru the winter? Should I keep the twigs in the refer until winter cold sets in, Dec/Jan?

Are there any experts here that can comment on this strategy or may have a better idea?

Thanks, Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting grapevine cuttings

1`. A cold period is not required for grapes to root.
2. I would find (recycle) 1 gal plastic containers... use a well drained soil mix OR if you must equal parts vermiculite & perlite. I would bury 1 or 2 nodes & have 1 node above the ground. I would bury the twigs RIGHT SIDE UP....... otherwise it will not root. The cuttings will callace first & then form roots this will procede dependent of soil temp with rooting forming after soil temp reaches 40-50F

o

• Posted by svanessa 9/10- Ramona (San Di (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 11:16

Thanks George,

As to the stems themselves, I've cut straight across the stem just below 1 node and have cut at an angle about 1/2"-1" above the 3rd or 4th node. Is this cutting method correct?

I only have vermiculite but will run down to the nursery and get some perlite. What does the addition of perlite add that 100% vermiculite lacks?

Thanks,
Sue

o

Very old agricultural textbooks, 60 years ago, said bury them upside down over the winter. Beyond that I've nothing to add.

o

Straight vermiculite packs too much and does not allow enough oxygen to the root area. You want the mix damp, not wet, Perlite will help drainage and oxygen content. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here