Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I dig up these impossible to dig up plants???

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 14:35

I have some plants to dig up, shrubs, runners from ornamental grasses, etc.

They're all really hard to dig up, I just can't get them up. I used a shovel in a 360 all around them, I used a pitch fork to try to pry them up, I used big pruning shears to try to cut through the roots but nothing will get them up.

What should I do? And adding to the problem, I'm pretty light so I always have a hard time digging.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I dig up these impossible to dig up plants???

Are you trying to save these plants?

If not, you can cut them to the ground with a chain saw and kill the roots with stump killer. RoundUp will take care of the grasses.

Good Luck!

Janie

o

Well i don't think steroids would help much so how about hiring someone with more strength? I use a transplant shovel that I don;t have to worry about breaking to get under the plant and apply my weight, which is considerable. Al

o

Yes, I'm trying to save these plants.

o

A pruning saw (or any small saw) will cut through roots too thick for pruners.
A small spade will cut better with your weight on it than a large wide one (the stiletto heel principle).
Then rock the plant from side to side- and cut more roots underneath it.

How about inviting some friends round for a gardening party (a bit like a paint party when you get them to help decorate the house), and you provide the refreshments. Tell them it's a "green gym".

o

try sharpening your shovel also ...

20 years in the garden ... before it crossed my mind to do such ... was working on the lawnmower blades... bumped into the shovel.. said what the heck .. what a difference ...

small hatchet or ax might also help ...ken

o

Oh, forgot to say:
Don't chop the tops too short before trying to dig out. The top bit can be useful to try to rock the plant with to loosen it.

o

Just about everything pops out of the ground, when my 300 pounds leans on a shovel.

o

Come on over to my house! I've got so many plants that need dividing if only I could get them out of the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here