Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumire_gw

Rooting rose cuttings with basil cuttings?

sumire
13 years ago

I've been rooting basil cuttings in plain tap water with great success for several months--I've been growing tons of basil just because I think it's fun to watch the roots sprout.

Recently, I've also begun trying my hand at rooting rose cuttings. The first time I tried rooting in a small container of dirt inside a ziploc bag, I was mostly successful, but treating mold growth was a pain, so now I've been leaving the rose cuttings in water until they form calluses, then transferring them to small pots of dirt not in ziploc bags. (I'm not sure if any of my water-to-soil rose cuttings have rooted, but they're not black/dead/rotten after a few weeks, so I remain cautiously optimistic.)

My question is this: When basil cuttings sprout roots, do they release rooting hormones into the water? Would it be beneficial to my rose cuttings if I threw a just-about-to-root stalk of basil in there, or perhaps put the rose cuttings in the water that basil had rooted in?

FWIW, I don't have access to any willows to make willow water, and since people gave RootTone mixed reviews, I didn't buy any. I thought I'd post here rather than in the Rose Propagation forum since I figured you might have more experience with propagating a variety of plants. Or would this be a better question for Botany?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists