Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Plant Cuttings

Posted by jmcst25 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 16:40

Can you get stawberry plant to root from cuttings? If so - any advise? I belive I have ozark strawberry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Plant Cuttings

"cuttings" will not work. The plant will form "pups" or plantlets which will root (with out assistance)& produce new plants

o

Strawberry plants send out long string-like runners and these form new plantlets at every node if they find favorable ground. Some of my floral strawberry plants will send these out over 5 feet away from the mother plant. You can often get 50-100 baby plants a season.

George

o

Sorry for the seeking clarification - new to this.

In other words -- I should just look for new plants to appear in near the original plants? Should I cut the new plants and move them to where I want or should I take cutting of roots to get started?

o

Just watch them. When you see these long runners forming steer them toward open soil, and when they start to form leaves at the nodes, make sure they get contact with the soil at that node to root. The runner will continue to grow longer and nodes further from the mother will start the process. They will make several plants you can move to desired locations. Just be sure to let them get well rooted.

George

o

Jmcst25,

You can get some idea of what to look for at this link. The strawberry plants send out long runners and the new plants appear along those runners.

MM

o

I love strawberry plants, partly because they are so prolific when it comes to putting off runner plants. From what I understand, you can split the crowns, guide the runner plants, or plant seeds to propagate strawberries (but the growing from seed isn't reliable). The website www.StrawberryPlants.org has a lot of stuff related to this. Two pertinent posts:

Strawberry Runners

Strawberry Propagation

o

The runners would be just as happy growing in pots if you want to move them to a new site or give them away. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here