Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe'

katrina1
17 years ago

For a formal non-shear need hedge to line all the sidwalks around my house lot, I need at least 100 of these Golden Globe Arborvitae.

The cost of all those certainly would break my budget.

All I could afford to purchase for this project is 10 one gallon size that are on order right now. If I get them by mid november or before can I take some of these,cut individual fans, with each fan also take some attached root, and plant them in consistantly kept moist sand? Or instead, should I plant them in well draining potting soil?

If they are to be put in straight sand, should I also add Osmokote to the sand periodically? I wondered that because I have a Thuja Green Giant which is barely growing since it is planted in shallow topsoil which very quickly turns into a deep layer of builder's sand. The area has too many burried utilities too close for me to effectivly work humus into the bed. It seems like the only thing that keeps this Green Giant alive is the oak leaves I use to mulch it with and the Osmokote, which I put down every 3 months along with doing constant soil moisture checks.

I know a box of only moist sand is needed to root a leaf where the cutting is taken with some heal. But shouldn't I handle it differently when actually taking attached root with each of the cut off leaves?

Comments (4)