Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouted White Oak Acorns

Posted by daniss (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 17:54

I just planted sprouted white oak acorns. The night temperature will be well below 30 soon. Is anyone know how much cold the acorns can tolerate at this stage of growing?
Thank you.
Dani

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouted White Oak Acorns

hey dani ...

did you find them sprouted???

if so ... arent they on ma natures schedule???

where did you plant them.. mother earth.. or pots????

and where are you ...

late fall is root growing time.. and roots will grow until the ground freezes.. ambient air temps should not matter if they are fully zone appropriate ...

pots are more of an issue of repeatedly freezing and thawing all winter long.. and are a different problem ...

so you might want to give us some more facts.. so as to get a useful answer ...

ken

o

Hello Ken,
Always enjoy your posts on conifer and hostas forums, but didn't expect your reply here:)
The acorns found sprouted in south New Jersey, but I planted them at my mom's place (into the ground) in upstate NY, so the acorns moved from zone 7 to zone 5. Do you think they will survive the cold temperatures if they have just started to grow?
Thank you

o

yeah.. i am just slummin.. lol ...

first i guess i am relying on your ID ... if correct.. white oak should be fully zone appropriate ... mine is anyway in z5 ...

second.. again.. if ma nature sprouted them.. she ought to know best ...

third .. in my z5 ann arbor area [actually adrian] ... they would have about another 60 days ... to grow that tap root before soil freeze ... before suspended animation occurs ...

besides worrying.. i dont know what more you can do ..

perhaps you should have tried a few in pots.. just to experiment ...

ken

o

White oaks have evolved along with the gray squirrel. The acorn will sprout in the fall and send all it's energy to the root. The acorn halves will shrivel a little but the squirrels may eat them anyway, but not the root which will send up a shoot in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here