Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Ivy propagating

Posted by Dominus55 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 18:44

I have a friend with some Boston Ivy all over her house. I want some to grow up my gazebo. Last year I took some cuttings , rooted them in water and planted them where I wanted them. They didn't take and didn't come back the following year. This year I took some cutting about a month ago and got some hormone powder, put them in starting potting soil, and in a sunny window. Over half of them are dying off. I took very young cuttings and healthy looking ones. I read where propagating hard wood plants are different...like waiting until 2 hard frosts. Would they be considered hard wood? I can't find much on Boston Ivy. Can you help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Ivy propagating

If taking cuttings this time of year, choose firm hardwood cuttings with at least three nodes (four of five wouldn't hurt). You can plant the cuttings almost horizontally, with only the top node above ground level. Grow them in a frost-free location (garage/greenhouse/etc). Bottom heat (if growing outdoors) and rooting hormone can be beneficial.

BTW, when looking for info about propagation try using the scientific name (in this case Parthenocissus tricuspidata) along with the word cutting or the word propagation. I didn't spend time closely examining the results, but a quick google search (as described above) looked like you'd get plenty of good info.

o
RE: Boston Ivy propagating

cutting need three things [if not more] :

1 == a properly wetted media ... and the moisture must be maintained.. properly ... not too wet.. not too dry .. etc .. for the duration of the rooting ...

2 == proper light ... and the windowsill may or may not be sufficient for such ... and there is no way to tell from the facts ...

and finally, ...

3 == ambient humidity ... of which there are no facts ... w/o roots.. the plant must rely on the leaves to suck in enough moisture for the plant to survive.. until some roots develop ... this is as simple as a clear plastic bag... etc ... it is possible.. for it to shed all the leaves.. so as to maintain the buds under.. until roots develop .... its not the best world.. but it is still possible ....

all that said ... a 50% success rate is not all that bad ... you really dont expect 100%, do you???

if only a couple roots.. so be it.. and when they start getting leggy.. make some new cuttings ... etc .... presuming you are not working in a greenhouse.. you most likely have limited space.. so fear success .. lol ... you have a long time to hold over new rootings in z5 until the spring ....

i would start by insuring humidity.. if you have not been providing such

good luck
ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here