Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Way to Propagate Holly Cuttings?

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 19:05

I'd like to root it in a jar of water - but I don't see anything online that supports it!

I took both thick and thin branch cuttings.

If I have to plant them with rooting hormone, I will - but it's just so much more easier to stick them in water and let them go!

Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Way to Propagate Holly Cuttings?

no luck rooting in water... take a tip cutting apply 0.1 to 0.3 % IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 40-80 days to root.... bottom heat helps.

o

I saw this article. Does this actually work? http://www.gardenguides.com/80624-make-cutting-holly-plant.html

o

My wife seen an article about growing holly cuttings. She has always loved holly but she would rather grow them her self rather then purchase a full grown plant. She has great luck saving almost dead plant and does great at growing from seeds as well. My line of work takes me to many areas of town and in some cases out of state but in our sane zone. We really don't have much of a winter here but it has it moments. I recently started gathering seeds and seed pods in the area and I have see about 10 to 15 different varieties of holly. Doing research on how to tell them apart get a bit rough at times but from what I can tell the best way is by the shape of the leaves. I have collected only about 3 different varieties so far and the time for gathering them is almost over I think. The more rare varieties around didn't have berries. I'm not sure what gender they are. I didn't see them bloom.
My question is. If I gather cutting from these plants in spring while I'm at work and keep them in water what are the chances they would they still be sufficient for propagating from??

o

I was mostly wondering if the cuttings would still be ok to plant if I collect them at work and kept them in water til I got home. It would probably be a few hours, and would warm or cooler water be best?

o

Gatherer: I would think as long as you keep them hydrated and cool they would be fine. I have collected cuttings while on trips and put them in water in a ziplock and rooted them when I returned home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here