Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Propogating

Jon 6a SE MA
12 years ago

I have just started to try my hand at propogating and have 4 Endless summer hydrangea, 4 Abracadabra A hydrangea cuttings started and all are doing great. I used a combination of potting soil with fertilizer and water absobents, sand, perlite and some compost with soil. Kept them in terra cota pots with baggies over them for a couple of weeks. Started when Hurricane Irene came through. They all have roots and are thriving. I buried the pots in soil where the plants will be planted and intend to leave them there until Spring.

I also started a big leaf hydrangea (4) no ID in the same way and I don't know if they rooted. The leaves which I learned should be cut in half are slightly brown on the cut edges. They still look nice and green, but I know this may mean nothing.

BTW, also started about 2-3 weeks ago (3)Emerald Green Arborvitae and (3)Chamaecyparis Obtusa 'Nana Gracilis', Hanoki falsecypress and all seem to be happy, tugging indicates they are rooted. They are in a bed buried waiting for Spring as well.

PS- all with rooting hormone powder.

Any tips for a rookie?

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Well, it sounds like that, in spite of your choice for a potting medium, you were very successful. If it works for you, keep it up. If you see a need to change, just read some of the many helpful threads in this forum. A search function can be found near the bottom of the main forum window, which will help you find info about specific topics.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes. I know that there is a lot of discussion about different potting medium, but my thoughts were;

Drainage is important and the sand and perlite give this.

Lightweight, perlite and potting medium do this

Moisture, the absorbent crystals in the potting soil provide this.

Time release fertilizer from the potting soil, compost and minerals from the soil are everything a plant needs.

I have to correct the post as the 4 unknown IDs were rhododendrons and not hydrangeas. I understand that these should have been done in the spring for best chance of success (or maybe only chance). So far 18 out of 18 with hydrangeas, arborvitaes and Chamaecypyris would indicate to me that the mix I used works well, as unconventional as it may seem.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

correction "So far 14 out of 14.."

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

If you stay with plants fast and easy to root like hydrangea it does not matter what your starting medium is like. Other plants may take up to a year to root and will require a lot more selective rooting medium. Al

• botann
    12 years ago

I'd skip the fertilizer until potted up or planted, and then go very light. Young roots are easily burned.

I usually root Rhododendrons in the Fall with hormones, bottom heat, and an automatic misting system. Same for most conifers that root too.

Hydrangeas are easy almost anytime.
    My favorite is Weiderspink.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1081521}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

IMHO.. the problem with your media.. is that you put soil in it ... the two words are contradictory by definition ... and compost is just premature soil ...

also.. one of the beauties of media.. is the ability to sterilize it.. prior to use.. to remove bacteria, molds.. mildews.. and bugs ...

also.. a plant with no roots.. which you started with.. does not need fertilizer ... and excess of such [which since they need none.. all is excess] can cause rotting of cut green vegetation ...

congrats on your beginners luck ... if it works.. you win bragging rights ...

oh.. and in my z5.. terra cotta pots explode if they freeze ... they actually hold water within the cell walls.. and if that water freezes ... they crack ....pots that have been fired to a porcelain finish do not.. but neither are made for burying... now that you have a pot formed hole.. i would wiggle out the pot.. tip the plants out.. and nestle the wad of soil/media and plant.. right back into the form fitting hole... and a nice blanket of mulch over the edges will help temper temp fluctuations ....

experimenting is fun .. isnt it ... congrats again ...

ken

ps: also.. dont forget that a ROOTING MEDIA .. is not the same as a GROWING MEDIA .... so you wight want to start thinking about what media you what to pot them with next year ... if in fact you are leaving them potted ...

Here is a link that might be useful: sterilizing media

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

When you want a new generation of Hydrangea babies, you might like to try layering. You'll read all sorts of variations but for this easy-to-root plant, I just lay a brick or rock holding a stem to the ground. Have fun!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm