Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2plant

Cuttings and Moon Phases

luvs2plant
17 years ago

I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren signs, have any effect on whether cuttings will root. I know at certain times, I'll have a higher percentage of cuttings root while at other times, nothing will root.

Do you suppose that taking cuttings during a fruitful sign would be more apt to strike roots? Have any studies been done on this theory?

Comments (53)

• bossjim1
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK Katrina, so you take cuttings, when??

• katrina1
    17 years ago

bossjim1.

From times long ago, If my memory serves me well, I have seen people reap greater rewards whenever they included the old wisdom of respecting the earths and universal natural elemental cycles along with their common every day efforts in determining the best gardening techniques for their success.

John Jeavons, the author of "How to grow more vegetables.." writes, "Increasing amount of moonlight stimulates leaf growth" and "as the moonlight decreases the above ground leaf growth slows down. The root is stimulated again."

After further test done by Frau Dr. Kolisko in Germany back in 1939 and by Maria Thun in 1956; they concluded that maximum germination of seeds occured on the days before the full moon. They also reported that weights of the crop yields were increased when seeds had been germinated at the accordingly lunar times.

Ute York in her book "Living by the Moon" includes the following quote.

"The old-time gardeners say, "with the waxing of the moon, the earth exhales. when the sap in the plants rise, the force first goes into the growth above ground. Thus, you should do all activities with plants that bear fruit above ground during a waxing moon. With the waming of the moon, the earth inhales. then, the sap primarily goes down toward the roots. Thus, the waning moon is a good time for pruning, multiplying (which likely meant propagating,)fertilizing, watering, harvesting, and controlling parasites and weeds."

The above wisdom tested and practiced comes from a slower time when people were not, as so many of us today are, so familiar with the foolish expectation of instant success as a lifestyle. Back then they seemed to value the quality of wisdom they learned that had proven over time to consistantly give positive results.

Then they took such wisdom and applied it when and where ever their lifestyle benefited from such. It involved very similar types of observations to that which motivated loves2plant question.

When one first takes a cutting, one does not want that cutting to expend all its energy by growing taller and more leaves. Rather instead, one wants the stem to put all the majority of its energy into producing the swelling which is followed by roots that grow strong enough to begin feeding the above ground growth.

It seems more sane to begin the steps of the propagating process at a time where they can at least start out in the same sync with the gravitational's pull effected by sun yes, but more so by the stronger gravitational affect of the moon due to its relative closeness to the earth.

The rate of rooting potential of whatever one is trying to propagate obiously will play on when to first take the cutting.

For easy Rose of Sharon rooting cuttings and or other quick rooting cuttings I would think that in the appropriate times of the year taking cuttings from them just as the waning of the moon begins would be very beneficial.

for slower rooting plants and shrubs, or ones where their upper stems seem to dry very quickly before the swelling and resulting roots can form, then I tend to think taking those cuttings a little sooner, toward the end of the waxing phase should give slight help that might be enough for the above ground stem, with the proper care, to survive long enough in the process for the swelling and roots to form and take over.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

"I would think that....... then I tend to think taking "
    Katrina, have you ever taken a cutting and rooted it? You have had two great opportunities to give us your personal experiences with rooting and have not done it yet. From all the writing you have done, I still don't know when YOU TAKE CUTTINGS nor what your experience has been.

• katrina1
    17 years ago

Yes, the first time I took a cutting was when I was 6 years old. It was a rose that I simply stuck in the ground on a morning when a lot of dew was on the grass. I put a clear wide mouth jar over it, and if I remember right it only took a little over a week for it to root. I simply took the glass jar off and the rose start continued to grow into a bush. I was so surprise to see that it had actually rooted so, a few weeks later I tried to propagate another rose the same way. That effort failed. Even though I did nothing different from the first time, it still failed. Just like your initial question, I too wondered if my first one only worked because I had done it at the right time in the month that spring.

As an adult, it has only been in the last 5 months that I have become interested in doing my own propagating. My first attempt was to take 4 cuttings off my Blue Satin Rose of sharon. Using a mixture of 50% sand and 50% vermiculite; dipped the cuttings in Espoma Bio-tone Starter;, covered them with a plastic tent, which still allowed air circulation; misted them regularly; always kept them in indirect light during the day and darkness at night. None of those 4 cuttings I tried to start survived. Later when I decided to try it again with 4 more cuttings, I did the exact same thing and that time 3 for my cuttings rooted and now are ready for their second potting in regular soil for winter preparation. I can not prove it beyond all doubt that those three rooted because of my cutting them in the right phase of the moon, and in fact I did not even think about it until reading your original post on the subject, but the second attempt at my rose of sharon cuttings were first cut shortly after a full moon.

It also reminded me of the many years ago when I had no idea what I was doing at age 6 when the first rose rooted. After the second attempt to get another rose cutting rooted failed I asked, why? I was told I had tried to do the second one at the wrong time. Was that answer really saying I did it at the wrong time in the moon's phases. I do not know for sure.

But your question and my own experiences have motivated me to start doing more propagating (during each of the phases of the moon) just to see if a pattern emerges which indicates a fairly consitant result one way or the other.

It seems reasonable to me that during the 3rd quarter of the moon, taking cuttings of fairly easy to root plants and shrubs should continue to be more successful for me. But I have to admit that I will have to do a lot more cuttings during all the moons phases and charting the results before I feel certain my theory is right or wrong.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Thank you.
    Jim

• luvs2plant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

To me, it's logical that moon phases would play a part in when a cutting would/would not strike roots, if the same theory applies to seed germination.

I'd still be interested in knowing if anything's been published on the subject. In the meantime, I'll just have to do my own experiements :)

• luvs2plant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>>Posted by georgez5il z5 IL (My Page) on Fri, Oct 13, 06 at 12:37

There is considerable "antidotal information" on this subject & most supports the belief that moon signs are important.
    As a comercial propagator I do not pay attention to moon signs BUT do pay attention to condition of cuttings, amount of hormones applied, soil used, soil temperature, misting timming, light level etc. etc.As a commercial propagator, have you experienced batches that didn't root, in spite of controlled conditions, that might indicate something else influencing success/failure? Or do you believe that conditions alone are the influential factors? Thanks.

• katrina1
    17 years ago

As can easily be seen by my previous long posts, this topic has captivated my interest.

For those desiring help in determining how much and what type of natural forces may be affecting their seed and cutting propagating efforts, I want to draw your attention to a good website which gives such data that is specific to individual location. Those stats are offered on the U.S. Naval Obervatory, Astonomical Applications Department. Their web site allows one to enter specific,past, present, or future; year, month, day, US State and town, or for world wide locations to enter longitude,latitude, time zone, and place name.

I particularly liked that web site's service since among other things they listed the moon waxing or waning on each day and also listed the persent of exposed, sun refected Moon visiable for each specific day at any specific location specified.

Web site listing such data: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

If typing in the entire address will not pull up; try typing in only the first of the address and attempting to get to these pages by clicking on locations in their site which seem to offer access to the above address' pages.

• katrina1
    17 years ago

Hopefully my planting those in the dark of the moon will help the bulbs to reproduce so abundantly the I will be able to double or more my just planted 30 tulips by next fall.

The tag said to plant them 4 inches apart, but I had only 30 and and a 46 foot long boarder in which to plant them.

Maybe, the wide spacing for the first year before the bulbs can propagate will need to be filled in with clumps of crocus and hyacinth bulb plantings

• oldlady59
    9 years ago

I know I'm responding to a post that is a little over 8 yrs. old, but I would like to know if anyone has been keeping any journals,and now has any updates on this subject to prove it's findings?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

I find this idea completely inconceivable. I appreciate Katrina's attempt to add even a shred of "science" to an explanation, but I'm totally unconvinced that such an effort (to associate any scientific explanation) would even be possible.

Many have relied on things ranging from prayer and/or sacrifice (to all kinds of various different gods and deities) to talking to their plants, to get better performance from their crops and plants. I think most of us would realize that most of these attempts (sacrifice to some random now-forgotten god, for instance) were futile. However, the people that performed these practices often held firmly to their beliefs.

In my opinion, we are better served by a scientific approach to this task. If we have the time and means, we can do our own experiments. If not, we would probably be best advised to read and research the work of others, especially scientific researchers and true experts-in-the-field.

• oldlady59
    9 years ago

Did you miss something in school when you learned about the moon's pull on the earth and the high tides???? Wouldn't you call that scientific research if they teach it? and if not then read the following.

The Influence of the Moon

The moon's orbit around our planet affects the rising and falling tides, air currents on the earth's surface, and the occurrence of thunderstorms. The gravitational pull of both the sun and the moon affects us, but we feel the effects of the moon more acutely. While the moon has a much smaller mass, it is 390 times closer to us than the sun.

Tides manifest the gravitational pull of the moon as it circles the earth. If you think of the water on the earth as a thin skin on the surface mass of the planet, it is easy to understand how the gravitational effects of the moon's orbit can pull the water mass gently from side to side. The tide cycle follows the same time cycle as the rising moon, occurring faithfully every twenty-four hours and fifty minutes. Tides rise in lakes and rivers as rhythmically as in oceans.

The correlation of moon and tide may not seem to have anything to do with planting or gardening, but consider the fact that the water content of the earth responds to the same tide cycle as the massive bodies of water that cover our planet. Any gardener knows the importance of the soil's water content to a germinating seed. It makes sense to consider, when planting your garden, the pull of the moon and the moon's position in order to give seeds the best chance to germinate, grow and develop....

Rainfall, like the water content of the earth, is affected by the cycles of the moon as surely as the tides, which reach their highest point every 14.6 days or twice a month. Rainfall cycles mirror the two-week tide cycle in response to the position of the moon. The highest rainfall occurs just after the full and new moons. Once a month, when the moon is at perigee (nearest the earth), tides are pulled 30% higher than at apogee, the point at which the moon is farthest from the earth....

Not only does the gravitational pull of the moon affect the tides and rainfall, but it affects the air currents on the surface of the earth as well. Plants are extremely sensitive to any tiny energy fluctuation....

Lunar winds on the earth's surface, moving at l/20 of a mile per hour, are too minute to be felt on the human skin, but they come, as do tides, twice daily. In the morning they flow east, in the evening to the west, influencing the growth of plants as surely as sunshine and rainfall.

The moon also affects the surface of the earth itself. A Columbia University study, conducted in 1970 across the continental United States, measured earth tides and found that land surface changes an average of twelve inches each day.

Tides, lunar winds, earth tides and rainfall, together with the subtle effects of the moon on the shifting of the earth's crust and the moon's effects on the patterns of thunderstorms and their corresponding effect on ionization in the air, convince us that the effects of the moon on our planet are constantly coming into play, influencing the growing things of the earth. These factors considered, gardening in accordance with the phases of the moon seems not so odd after all.
    Why the Moon Phase System Works

The time at which a seed is sown is the beginning of its life cycle. Final plant yield, as every gardener knows, is crucially affected by the conditions encountered by the seed....

The person most responsible for formal experimentation in this area is Maria Thun, whose research on her farm in Darmstadt, Germany, has been financially supported by a group of biodynamic farmers.

In 1952, Thun developed a method of sowing a fixed number of crop rows over a sidereal month. The term sidereal refers to the position of the moon in relationship to the stars or constellations in the sky behind it. In other words, Maria Thun sowed according to varying phases of the lunar cycle. Once the crop came to maturity, it was weighed and studied, and the results were recorded. Thun's findings were accumulated over a ten-year period from 1952 to 1962. The crop Thun chose to study initially was potatoes; subsequently she studied not only other root crops but also leaf crops, fruit-bearers and flowers.

Thun's results were surprising. She discovered that if potatoes were planted when the moon was in the constellations of Taurus, Capricorn or Virgo (traditionally termed "root days"), the crop was more prolific than if she planted when the moon was positioned in other constellations of the zodiac belt. After some thought, she concluded that potatoes did better if planted while the moon was clearly positioned in earth signs than at any other time. Potato crops planted when the moon was positioned in the constellations Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces--the water signs of the zodiac--did poorly.

The results of Thun's studies fascinated another experimenter in Germany. Graf repeated her method from 1973 to 1975, this time using many different types of soils, and planting radishes as well as potatoes. Graf discovered that sowing on root days affected positively the growth and production of crops, and got best result when using chemically untreated, organic soils.

In 1976, Kollerstrom and Muntz, Sussex market gardeners, repeated the experiments of Graf and Thun and gained a 45% increase in yield for crops sown on root days. Conducted over a period of two months, their study did not show that the phase of the moon, waxing or waning, made as much difference as the moon's placement in the sky at the time of sowing.

The effect of the phases of the moon on seed germination and growth was first studied by L. Kolisko in 1930. Using wheat, Kolisko found that seeds germinated faster and more prolifically when sown at the full moon. The new moon gave him the most unsuccessful results. Later experiments on cress confirmed Kolisko's findings. Recent studies at Northwestern University, conducted by Professor F. Brown, have shown that, even under equal temperatures, seedlings absorb more water at the full moon than at the new moon. The findings lend credibility to adages that recommend harvesting at full moon. It seems plants have less water content at the new moon phase. Professor Brown went so far as to test plants in a darkened laboratory where they would have no direct access to effects of sun or moon. The plants still responded to the moon phases.

Other experiments have been conducted at Wichita State University and at Tulane University. All have achieved the same results. Experimentation indicates that seeds sown just before or around the full moon have a higher rate and speed of germination than those sown at the new moon because seeds are able to absorb more water at the full moon....

The moon moves on a tilted elliptical orbit around the earth, waxing and waning as it reflects the light of the sun from various angles. It is backdropped, as are the other planets of our solar system, by the belt of constellations....

Once every twenty-seven days the moon is at the farthest point, from the earth, that its orbit reaches. Its orbit around the earth is tilted, and so two times each month the moon sinks five degrees above or below the angle at which the earth is orbiting the sun. These bimonthly points are called the nodes of the moon.... Eclipses occur when a new or full moon passes through one of the nodes, at which time it is possible for the earth to come between the moon and the sun. The moon is invisible to the naked eye, because there is no sunlight to illuminate it.

The moon has the greatest effect on earth's rainfall when it is close to a node. Node position is said to affect drought and atmospheric tide patterns. In her studies of plant growth, Maria Thun found that planting at the lunar nodes affected plant growth and germination negatively. Although there is little evidence on the effects of eclipses, most gardeners choose not to sow during the eclipse.

The position of Saturn in relationship to the moon has traditionally been considered when planting crops intended to last more than one season. Perennials need to be hardy and long-lasting. A sympathetic Saturn encourages these factors in new plants.

Just as the moon aligns itself with the sun twice a month, it aligns itself with Saturn. When Saturn and the moon are within 9 degrees of each other, relative to earth, they are in the position described as conjunction. When they are 180 degrees apart, they are in opposition. There are three more aspects to be considered: sextile or 60 degrees, square or 90 degrees, and trine or 120 degrees.

Now what more do you need for proof?????????

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Oldlady59, unfortunately pretty much everything you mention seems to be a giant red herring as far as this topic is concerned.

Certain people will believe just about anything, whether there's any real proof or not. Some will "see" proof where there's none. It's human nature to try to recognize correlation, but, unfortunately, that proclivity frequently backfires when we are not careful.

To my knowledge, there is zero scientific evidence that planting by moon phases or any type of signs actually works. If it did work, I think it's hard to imagine that the phenomenon wouldn't be widely used by commercial growers and carefully studied and understood by all the horticultural schools. You're unlikely to find a class on planting by the signs in highschool biology (at least in mainstream/public schools).

If you want to believe this type of stuff, that's your business, but in my opinion it's right up there with other things that appear, with careful observation, to have no basis whatsoever in reality.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 19:20

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

BTW, there's also another way to view this topic. While, to my knowledge, there is no evidence of any real influence on seeds or cuttings by this type of thing, it really wouldn't matter if there turned out to be a provable effect. The reason for that is that the easily documentable effects of other factors would far, far outweigh these effects that are too small to even be noticeable with current scientific methods.

Even if we make an assumption that planting by signs does make a difference, it currently would not be likely to be of any benefit. Since there is no real proof of when is the most beneficial time to plant, we might just as well be planting at the worst time, if we depend on moon phases or "the signs".

• loewenzahn
    9 years ago

Oldtimers say it does work. But there are two systems Maria Thun and the other one sometimes they are contradictory.
    I will give it a try. Which website do recommend for looking the right times up DOWN UNDER?

• oldlady59
    9 years ago

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php on that page go to form B which is location worldwide.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

katrina and old lady-do you sacrifice a chicken before you take cuttings-have always heard this works really well.

• muscadines978
    9 years ago

Let me put my two cents into this topic. The moon phases might have some influence on plant propagation, but why is it that THOUSANDS of professional Plant propagators successfully produce millions of plants while ignoring the phases of the moon.
    I for one commercially propagate Muscadine Vines which can only be propagated from the end of June to the beginning of Sept. from soft wood cuttings. We never go with hard wood cuttings since there is only a 1% success rate for them to produce roots.
    If I were to follow the phases of the moon my window of propagation would be limited even further.
    The idea might work, but not for commercial propagators.

• loewenzahn
    9 years ago

here is a calendar. But often it is really contradictory the two systems:

Here is a link that might be useful: lunarium

• Charlie
    9 years ago

The moon provides two effects that can affect the growth of a plant: 1) Its gravitational pull, and 2) The increased or decreased light during the plants growth phases. The fact is that planting in accordance with moon phases can reduce the tendency of leaf plants to bolt and assist in the development of root crops by limiting bolting. It is all logical and there are thousands of gardners who have witnessed these affects.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

I'm curious Charlie, do you find chicken sacrifice to be more or less beneficial than planting by the signs? Also, I wonder how important the astrological sign of the gardener is to the whole process. Extrapolating on your thoughts, I'm sure it's crucial, but I wonder how you do the calculations.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 22:11

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

because gravitational effects are governed by the inverse square law and it's corollary that gravitational force depends on the mass of both objects, the physical effect of the moon-rather big mass-on a cutting-very small mass-would essentially be zero.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

but of course if you do the chicken sacrifice you have great cuttings AND fried chicken.

This post was edited by davids10 on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 23:28

• oldlady59
    9 years ago

With a down computer than getting sick I've been away from my computer for a long time. and I must say wow what a lot of responses to this subject. Looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do. so first let me say to brandon7 check out my post placed on Dec 5 in this category titled lilac propagation. and no I did NOT sacrifice a chicken. and to respond to Muscadines987 do you think that maybe since you are a professional propagator you may have a bit more sophisticated equipment?? and as far as that point goes grapes are easy to propagate. I done more than 300 of them myself a few years back. But take into consideration that professional propagators do have mist systems and timers and whatever else that makes it more of a science and makes it work whichever phase the moon is in more than the ordinary gardener has that the little guy might want to go with all the help he can. Last of all davids10 how do you explain that no matter which way a seed is planted in the ground it knows to go up?? I guess believe whatever you wish to believe and I will believe that the moon phases makes a difference.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

old lady-again the inverse square law. seeds are very close to the earth-in fact they are in it, so effect is quite strong(seeds don't drift off into space). seeds are reacting against the earth's gravity-that is they grow away from the center of gravity of the earth not toward the center of gravity of the moon.

• muscadines978
    9 years ago

Oldlady59,
    I totally agree that grape vines are very easy to propagate. I propagate mostly Muscadine vines which are far more challenging since they can only be propagated between the end of June and the beginning of September. Hard wood cuttings are next to impossible with only a 1% success rate.
    I hope that people using the phases of the moon have great success.

Hans

• samhain10 - 5a
    9 years ago

I feel compelled to respond to this thread which someone back in 2006 started innocently enough, seeking information from others who might have experience in the matter. Some of the comments, from those who supposedly espoused the scientific method, were rude and derisive. Rather like the responses throughout recorded history of whatever the prevailing popular scientific theory have been to anything which does not support the status quo. And frequently, science has had to revise its theories of "truth". That is what science does. A hypothesis is proposed, and is subjected to experimentation and the results are observed and recorded. And amended, when and as necessary.

Actually, there have been studies done on the effects of lunar cycles on plant growth and other organic life, and books written as well. Are they part of the accepted mainstream scientific theory? Obviously not, or, as one person suggested, they'd probably be teaching these theories in highschool biology classes. But, in an aside, may I mention that it is common knowledge (whether written down I don't know) that law enforcement officers and emergency personnel are cautioned to be especially vigilant during full moons because of erratic human behavior? This I have been told personally by officers and hospital employees. Oh, and in a further aside about the changing nature of scientific theory, you probably have all heard by now that they are using leaches again in medicine.

Part of my purpose, perhaps the better part of my time here on GW, is social, rather than informational. Much of the material gleaned here, I could get elsewhere out of books, if I haven't yet done it myself; but here is a forum in which I can interact with others about subjects I love, and hear firsthand accounts of experience in the field (literally). I frequently employ humor in my posts, because I am having a good time, and I hope my fellow gardeners are as well. But humor which ridicules can be hurtful, and that's not fun for the recipient.

And in case, someone is wondering and wishes to "pigeonhole" me - yes, I do plant by the moon phases - when it is convenient. Though I'm no professional grower, as with them, my schedule only allows me a certain amount of time, not always of my first choice, of when to do gardening chores. Lots of factors come into play, and I do what I have to do. But my personal opinion is that enough evidence has been presented to me that the moon phases have an effect, and if I can work in concert with them, then all the better. But if not, oh well. Oh, and I don't sacrifice any chickens either. :)

- Alex

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

common knowledge and anecdotes are not evidence. the gravitational force of the moon is the same no matter what it's phase. seeds do not sprout upside down when the moon is on the other side of the earth. the light of the moon is reflected sunlight.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

As long as gardeners realize that the practice of planting according to one of these multiple schemes (at least as we know it today) is only for fun, then I would agree with Alex that there's no harm done. However, if the gardener is serious about maximizing their crop and allow a moon-phase scheme to guide them into planting at a less than optimal time (length of season, etc), then this "fun" may be responsible for their loss. The practice of sacrificing a chicken, although no more or less helpful than planting by moon phases, is not something I would recommend because of the welfare of the chicken.

One thing that does concern me about all this is that it points to a lack of understanding by some. In Alex's post above, for instance, it's obvious that he misunderstands what science really is and how it works. Anyone with a basic understanding of science realizes that the last thing it does is to blindly "support the status quo" (not that planting by moon signs would be considered status quo these days). Remember back when the popular belief was that the earth was flat? Then came along that ungodly science....

Unfortunately sometimes people feel threatened or confused when people use science in an attempt to discover and clarify fact. These people are the ones willing to blindly support the status quo or something they've been taught to be truth, even though it may even seem highly unlikely from an unbiased point of view. When their belief is questioned by someone willing to methodically and carefully analyze the situation, they may take it as a person attack.

• loewenzahn
    9 years ago

I really do believe that the moon planting works, and Maria Thun she did her experiments. But I do my cuttings when it is stinking hot and I can't do hard work outside. So I think the advantage of scheduling work according to what can be done is more of an advantage for me (rather than getting a heat stroke).

• ccrrgn
    9 years ago

I was reading an old farmers almanac that I had found, and an article on the moon phases stimulated my curiosity and it awakened the knowitall in me. I just had to try this. In the middle of the winter from sheer impatience I took an almost dead African violet from the grocery store brought it back to life and then took cuttings. I just put them in a plastic cup of water, with the date on it and the moon phase. At the end of the month I got my answer. I have never doubted it since. I now consult the almanac every time I start my garden, and do you know I now am known as the old lady with the green thumb.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

According to a recent poll...
    37 percent of Americans still thing global warming is just a hoax
    20 percent believe modern vaccines could give you autism
    9 percent are afraid of fluoride in drinking water
    7 percent think landing on the moon was fake
    5 percent think the government is trying to kill everyone with chemtrails.
    I so wished they had included planting by moon signs in their poll!

• luvs2plant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good grief. So much for friendly discussion.

I've just recently come back to GW, having been distracted by life circumstances. But in those years since I posted this topic, my experiences have reinforced my 'theory'....to a degree.

I've come to the conclusion that planting _seeds_ by the moon phases has no noticeable effect. However, taking cuttings during fruitful phases......most especially, roses.....does seem to effect the outcome.

I couldn't understand why sometimes my cuttings would root and other times they would all die. I was using the same technique, same environment, same plants, but having different outcomes. And then the thought came to mind, I wonder if the 'signs' have an effect.

I have found that if I take cuttings during a barren sign, every cutting will die, w/o exception. If I take cuttings during a fruitful sign, I'll have at least a 20% success rate, again w/o exception (and again, I'm referring to roses). Now obviously, I'm no scientist and these weren't done under 'scientific' conditions. But I've had the same outcome enough times over the years to be convinced that moon phase can, in some instances, have an effect.

Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

• ccrrgn
    9 years ago

I was having trouble finding information for the best time to take cutting of shrubs and vines in the winter. I live in a zone 5 and summer cuttings do not seem to have enough time to mature or harden up to survive their first cold winter. If any one has the info I need or a link I would surely appreciate the help.

On a different subject but one that might interest the readers is the effect of Glyphosate on the nutrition of plants grow in soil contaminated with it. Glyphosate blocks the absorption of minerals by the plants and therefore reduce the benefit of the produce grown on the contaminated soil. Thus the Round Up Ready seed grains are causing malnutrition in the masses.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Ccrrgn, you definitely need to start a new thread for your question about proper timing for taking cuttings. Your inquiry seems unrelated to this thread. The answers will be dependent upon various things, especially on which plants. Some trees and shrubs are best propagated from softwood cuttings, some from hardwood cuttings, some.......etc. etc.

Your glyphosate "rant" (I call it that because it seems entirely based on "feelings" rather than fact) is definitely unrelated to ANYTHING in this thread as far as I can tell!

• lindacall
    8 years ago

Back in a 1966 science class, there was a project where the question was raised about how gravity effected plants. They used a record player with a light directly over the center, and placed seeds in a pan, all equally spaced, sitting on an album running at 33 1/3 speed going round and round for 45 days. The seeds in the center grew straight up. The seeds on the outer edges leaned towards the center with a gradual change between the two extremes. There was quite a difference even though growing up was still the dominate growth. Argument was made concerning the light being in the center, so another experiment was conducted with the light being at the same height but about 12 inches from the player. The results were the same. This was an 8th grade class, whether the record player was a accurate replacement for gravity I don't know, but the results were interesting. We did not think about checking which direction the seeds germinated or which way the roots grew. I remembered this experiment when I read about seeds growing up.

• davoana
    8 years ago

So I've heard that taking cuttings is best when the moon is in a water sign. Taking them during a waning moon sounds right too.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

...only if you flip a coin and it lands on tails. If it lands on heads, then the cuttings are doomed. Of course, multiple tosses will surely provide a more accurate prediction.

• davoana
    8 years ago

Been making cuttings for decades. They're never doomed as a result of the moon phase they were taken in. They just root quicker and have more vigor under the right conditions. The Hawaiian moon calendar is legit and has been used for thousands of years. Thinking the moon has no effect on plants ridiculous.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

The only thing more ridiculous would be thinking that planting by moon phases or signs would work. In fact, it's so illogical that's it's hard to imagine anyone believing it. And, BTW, the coin flip thing really would be an equally valid predictor of good results.

• davoana
    8 years ago

Believe what you want. I'll go by the moon. It works for me. Different strokes for different strokes. If thought flipping coins worked I'd be doing that.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

I've never known anyone to make cuttings in accordance with the phases of the moon, but I do know of an Italian woman who sowed her vegetable seed that way.

She also picked the very first tomato that appeared on her tomato plants and saved that one for seed. Never a later one, once she was inundated. I think her reasoning was that her next seasons tomatoes might come earlier.

Maybe there is something in it. I don't know why all the angst.

As for the constant bleating of 'proven' science, it gets my goat that people think that science proved things. No scientist would ever speak of a proven fact when it comes to science. It is always, "As far as we know..."

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

Tete, things that have some evidence are worth evaluating. The problem, well one of them anyway, with this idea is that it has absolutely ZERO (yes, ZERO) real evidence that it works. It is every bit as likely that the times chosen by the followers of this idea are actually the exactly WORST times for planting. You heard right, this idea could just as likely be predicting the worst time for planting rather than the best. Someone doing the exact opposite of what some random prediction suggests, is EVERY BIT as likely to get AT LEAST as good results as one following the advise. And that is one reason that there is no agreement about which times are best, in the first place. Forget formal science for a minute...this idea (in it's present form, anyway) fails even the slightest hint of rational thought.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

Dovoana, it's fine (at least with me) for you to go by whatever method you feel comfortable with. Like an athlete that refuses to wash his undies and wears the same "lucky", unwashed pair for each game, because he feels it's the "right thing" to help him win the game...to each their own.

The problems, as I see it, is when someone claims knowledge that something works without any real proof. Claiming a legitimacy without a shred of real evidence is NOT legitimate! As pointed out earlier, if the followers of the idea were really able to produce ANY proof, it would have revolutionized the horticultural world long ago. One day, some correspondence to moon phases and best planting times may turn out to have some merit, but, so far that hasn't happened that we know of. Like an athlete claiming that any teammate washing their undies is a legitimate reason for their team loosing, the follower of current-knowledge moon phase planters claiming legitimacy is going too far!

• muscadines978
    8 years ago

If planting or taking cuttings by the phases of the moon has some trace of reality, please show my some tested proof. I am always open to new or old ideas.Is there any substantiated shred of evidence that it works??

• davoana
    8 years ago

Ok I really don't care if you disagree with me but for the sake of science I'll offer you an experiment. Try taking all your cuttings and planting of seeds only during "void of course" moon periods and see how that works for you.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"...for the sake of science..."

Sarcasm? I'm guessing so, because science requires us to learn something from experimentation and not repeat the research ad nauseam every time someone suggest it might work this time. NO REAL SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT HAS PROVEN THIS METHOD TO WORK (not even a little bit)!

• muscadines978
    8 years ago

davoana,

For the home owner and gardener your experiment might be great, but for the folks who make a living at propagating plants for a living we don't have time to experiment. We have to go by proven facts. I have a short window for propagating Muscadine vines, from mid June to early Sep. That doesn't give me much time to take cuttings by the phases of the moon. For every one else who has plenty of time to experiment give it a try. the best of luck to every one.

Hans

• ubro
    8 years ago

I am late to this thread but have found it extremely entertaining. Every propagator knows there is a good time to take cuttings and that is when the plant is in the right stage for it, not when the moon is in the right stage. And this times varies with each plant species.

As for experiments and proof, I look no further than some of my neighbours, they faithfully plant by the moon, and when harvest arrives they have no better yields than the rest of us.

Just because an idea has been around for years, and many people still hold to it does not give it validity. The great thing about science is, that when it is proven wrong it accepts it, it does not cling to an idea that no longer works just because it has been handed down thru the ages.

Science is there to move us on, and to teach us new things so we can better understand which beliefs to drop, and which to hold on to. I for one will drop the idea that the earth is flat, that my destiny is dependant upon the zodiac, and that planting by the moon has any noticeable benefit.

• muscadines978
    8 years ago

ubro(2a) ,

Well said!!!

You didn't even insult any ones intelligence, but behold, you will be verbally attacked and your intelligence will be questioned.

You made your point in a brilliant scientific way.

Hans

Sponsored