Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria - Posted message re: transplanting

Posted by rcharles 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 19:28

I am getting a plumeria and it will be coming with most of the soil taken off for shipping.
When I get the plant, I will be potting it up with new medium and am wondering if I need to be careful as to how much I water it. It should be going into dormancy within the month or next.
It has leaves of it now, it is not dormant now.
Checked Plumeria forum, but there is not an answer for my particular question.
Manly concerned about watering it too much and having it too wet.
If there is anyone that could shed some light on this. I would very much appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria - Posted message re: transplanting

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 10:55

best treated like a cactus plant. You can usually judge when to water by the leaves start to droop then water well. Keep in the brightest, hottest area you have. When it looses all it's leaves let dry out and only water maybe once a month. If you can keep it with some light it will do better. You'll notice a change in the tips when they are ready to come out of dormacy and then start treating like growing plant slowly. They are very tropical so make sure they don't get any frost. Hope this helps you get started. This is what has worked for me.
Pattie

o
RE: Plumeria - Posted message re: transplanting

Patties advice is right on. When she mentioned treating it like cactus that includes the soil. I lost several before I learned to keep the roots from constant moisture, which will kill them. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here