Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aperry67

Umbrella tree too tall

Aperry67
9 years ago

After leaving work after many years I brought the canteen umbrella plant (Scheffiera??) with me before the plant is shut down. Pot bound and neglected except for watering for many years it is now a tall gangly specimen almost too tall for my home!
Now re potted it is sprouting new leaves at the top but I wish to make this shorter and thicker? Wife hates it so big!!
I've read many posts and notched the stem/trunk at what I believed to be nodes but nothing after 10-12 weeks and still growing taller. I'd hate to kill it now its is recovering but don't know how and need serious step by step help please? Assume I know nothing, you'd be very close!

Thanks

Andrew

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

This is really off-topic for this forum. I would probably repost in the House Plants Forum, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plants Forum

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

What the heck, I'll give you my opinion. I mean what's the worst that can happen?

I would be inclined to cut all the tallest stems with a sharp pair of secateurs when your wife is not looking, leaving the two shortest stems so that some leaves are still on the plant. When the cut stems have produced more branches and leaves, you can tidy up the lowest two branches if you think it would improve the look of the plant.

Can you put your umbrella tree somewhere where it will get more light? Not direct sun, but a very well lit place where your wife never goes. She might have a fit but I am certain that it will branch nicely after being trimmed.

I would cut the (tallest) stems at the height of the bottom of the picture that you have on your wall.

Schefflera is the name of your plant.

I am not sure how long you have had the plant in your home. If it starts to look unwell, it will almost certainly be due to lack of light.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Your tree has a very distinct growth cycle, during which it's ability to turn light energy into food waxes and wanes. Where you live has a significant impact on what you can reasonably do, but cutting your plant back now might seem reasonable to a person, your plant would certainly not look at it that way (if it could). It would say, "Hey - how about this for a deal? Tell your wife you'll cut me back in June - around Father's Day (which nearly coincides with the summer solstice - an important time for plants). Tell her I need to have that late spring warmth and sun to put away a little stored energy, and I need to be in a part of the growth cycle where my ability to covert sunlight to food is optimal when you start whacking at me - that way, I'll recover very quickly and still have time to put away some energy reserves for NEXT winter.

IOW, if you learn to work WITH your plant's natural rhythms (do a search for endogenous and Circadian rhythms) instead of against them, life will be easier for both of you. Of course, that whole happy wife - happy life thing just might trump the best laid plans.

Your plant has the unwell look of one suffering from severe root congestion - all growth concentrated in immediate area of apices (growing branch tips - apical meristems), so a repotting (much different and more involved than simply potting up) should be part of your plan, probably preceding the actual pruning by 2 or more weeks.

C'mon over to houseplants or the container gardening forum & we'll put together a plan that all 3 of you will approve of.

By paying attention to details, you can take a scheff (this is a more compact plant than yours) looking like this in Michigan

to looking like this, in 3 weeks. It's back-budded heavily, as you can see.

And that plant was shipped to Boston or NYC (I forget which) during that 3 week period. That's the new owner .... and there's an interesting story behind that whole deal.

Al

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville