Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
taking winter cuttings...?

Posted by lovenrage z6a new england (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 20:33

Hey everyone,

I've propagated with cuttings before but never during the winter. Do the planted cuttings need to overwinter indoors? If so, when is the earliest I can cut and plant outside? I do not have any areas in my house with a lot of sunlight.

Plants that I'm interested in are highbush blueberry, peach, blackberry etc.

Thanks so much!!
LnR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: taking winter cuttings...?

No, DON'T bring them inside (unless you want to store them in the frig before planting in spring). Planting them out now in a protected site (coldframe, unheated garage, etc) could be ideal. Google 'hardwood cuttings' for more info.

o

google the common name..

find the latin name ...

the google 'propagation of [insert latin name here]' ...

and away you go ...

it will be near impossible to root peach ... beyond shear luck ... if it were easy.. that is how they would be sold.. but they are grafted plants ... you might get another answer in the fruit forum ...

bramble.. the blackberry.. put out runners.. and that is how they multiply ... i dont know why you would mess with rooting them??? ... early next spring.. check your plant.. and if you see extra coming up a few inches away.. see if you can root prune it.. and move it away from mom ...

and i just dont know anything.. offhand on blueberry ...

again.. the fruit pro's are in the fruit forum.. and i have never seen them here ... and those peeps do things very differently to us common folk. lol ...

good luck

ken

o

If you want thorny berry vines to grow like crazy, try to kill them. They really thrive in revenge mode.

o

Hello LnR,
When pruning your Blueberry plants during the winter,save the branches that are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter.They shouldn't have any fruit buds.Cut them into 4-6 inch pieces and put them in the same direction,I usually make an angled cut at the bottom end of each one.Then put them in a labelled baggie with some damp peat moss,in the bottom of the refrigerator.Leave them there for about 3 months.I usually time it to put them out in containers or beds in about April when the weather gets warm.Those 7 inch domed propagation flats work good to help them grow. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here