Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya

Posted by Snow_Belt (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 05 at 20:36

I have two hoya plants both in bloom right now. I don't know the name of their variety, but they have three inch across clusters of small, pale pink flowers with red spotting. They have wound themselves through one another and up and down the beam they live on, as well as up into the skylights above them. Yikes. I may be moving, so they will have to be cut apart, so I can get them into the moving truck and new home.

Is it possible to propogate the pieces? Should I use rooting hormone, vermiculite or water, how long should each segment be, or should I just use the leaves? How long before they root, and can be given to friends?

I live near Nelson, BC, if anyone would like some of this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya

Absolutely, you can root Hoya. Do use rooting hormone powder. I use peat and perlite 50/50, but you can use potting soil, vermiculite and perlite, or whatever medium you prefer.

I cut it into segments with a couple of nodes, wound the stem between the nodes and lay on top of my medium. I use a florist staple to hold the Hoya down. Cover with a little additional medium. Water with a mist, and don't let it dry out, but don't let it be water logged either.

Hoya is easy and fun to root. I really like it, and often use it for gifts.

Janie

o
RE: Hoya

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish CO Rockies (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 9:29

below is the link fro the FAQ from the Hoya forum here on GW

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya forum FAQ on cuttings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here