Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Wandering Jew cuttings rotting, why?

nick_b79
17 years ago

I've had no problem all summer propagating cuttings from my large Wandering Jew plant. In the past month, however, the parent plant has died. I think I overwatered it and it contracted a fungal infection. Having had to endure being moved indoors from the outdoor patio and living with less sunlight didn't help matters. I've been trying to salvage as many cuttings as possible and root them in water as I've always done. This time they sit for a week or two, the stems become mushy, and the cuttings wither and rot.

I'm worried the fungal infection that killed the mother has hitchhiked along to the cuttings. What can I do to save them? I still have a few smaller pots with healthy, rooted cuttings in them, but they are too few to repopulate the pot the original plant was in, and many are still not large enough to take decent cuttings from. I've heard that certain teas can act as anti-fungal agents. If I add a bit of chamomile tea to the water they're rooting in, would that help promote healthy rooting? Thanks.

Comments (2)