Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wandering Jew cuttings rotting, why?

Posted by nick_b79 z4 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 20:49

I've had no problem all summer propagating cuttings from my large Wandering Jew plant. In the past month, however, the parent plant has died. I think I overwatered it and it contracted a fungal infection. Having had to endure being moved indoors from the outdoor patio and living with less sunlight didn't help matters. I've been trying to salvage as many cuttings as possible and root them in water as I've always done. This time they sit for a week or two, the stems become mushy, and the cuttings wither and rot.

I'm worried the fungal infection that killed the mother has hitchhiked along to the cuttings. What can I do to save them? I still have a few smaller pots with healthy, rooted cuttings in them, but they are too few to repopulate the pot the original plant was in, and many are still not large enough to take decent cuttings from. I've heard that certain teas can act as anti-fungal agents. If I add a bit of chamomile tea to the water they're rooting in, would that help promote healthy rooting? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wandering Jew cuttings rotting, why?

The cuttings should have been/must be diped in a solution of dilute chlorox..... The fungus most likely contaminated the cuttings. Smaller cuttings can be rooted if use 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in soil & mist. Keep the rooted cuttings in GOOD light, keep moist, & lightly fertilize lightly every 2 weeks This will promote new growth & have more material to propagate later.

o
RE: Wandering Jew cuttings rotting, why?

I took a couple broken cuttings from a girlfriend last week from a wandering jew, put them in water, and within a couple days they had roots, and then I put them in soil.....They seem to be doing alright now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here