Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting shade perennials

Posted by lisacent CT (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 21:16

I have a shade garden, composed of bleeding hearts, hostas, astilbe, snake root, huchera, etc., that will be impacted by an addition to our home. We expect construction to start in the late winter of 2014, maybe early March. I would like to move or preserve the plants in these bed for replanting somewhere else next spring, but I'm not sure what is the best way or time to do this.

I live in interior CT so it's starting to get cold now and won't be too warm when construction is expected to begin. Should I move the plants now, possibly temporarily to my raised vegetable bed, for permanent replanting in the spring (since I'd like to use some of plants around the new addition). Or should I pot them all and keep them in my basement, near a window, for the winter? Or should I leave them and try to retrieve them right before construction, even if it's super early spring? Or are there better options. Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting shade perennials

I wouldn't put them indoors. They are all hardy plants and will be miserable in the warm and dark over the winter. You need to keep them dormant. I think your best bet is either a temporary home in the veg garden or potting and putting in a sheltered place outdoors, maybe with some leaves or mulch around them. I don't know your climate so can't comment on the early spring move option. Here you can move perennials any time the ground isn't frozen.

o
RE: Transplanting shade perennials

Thanks florauk!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here