Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to propagate Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans'

Posted by rolf_jacobs (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 21:39

I currently live in Santa Clara, CA, but am moving to a town outside of Tyler, Texas. My neighbor has an absolutely stunning Plume Cedar (Crytomeria japonica 'Elegans') and I want to grow some more of these from cuttings. I actually grew this tree from a cutting many years ago but I cannot remember exactly what I did.

My questions are:

1. Is this a good time to make cuttings?
2. I think I used a mixture of about 90% perlite and 10% peat moss. Is this OK or can anyone recommend a better medium?
3. Do you think this tree will grow in East Texas? The area is covered with large pine trees and growers raise lots of roses in the area.

BTW: If you want the "perfect" lawn tree, this is it. Absolutely fantastic shape and it changes color between the winter and summer. Soft foliage you cannot resist running your hands through. No surface roots and it doesn't drop anything.

Thanks for your help.

Rolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to propagate Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans'

Rolf...you might still be able to to take a few mature tip cuttings...typically taken late summer or autumn...they are generally slow to root...i believe your planting medium will work fine and i believe they should be okay in eastern texas...they are hardy zones 6-9...good luck

o
RE: how to propagate Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans'

I used sand and perlite and the cuttings were dipped in probably #2 hormone, they got bottom heat and mist.
They rooted by the end of the quarter.
This was in a greenhouse propagation class,if I recall correctly it was winter quarter, Jan -March.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here