Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating a weeping willow..

Posted by whodaz (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 21:49

hello there..
I am trying to propagate a weeping willow.. I got a cutting from the mother tree then I put just a little bit of rooting hormone powder since these willows already have rooting hormone in them and placed the cutting inside a little pot. I have been watering it every day to keep the soil moist. how do I know if its alive and it not a dead stick that im watering?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating a weeping willow..

Scrape the bark off in a spot and see if the wood looks green, if so it is alive. I have had the best luck by cutting off a young green branch either in fall or early spring and planting it directly into the ground where I want the willow to grow. Dig a hole with post hole diggers and plant about 2 feet of a 3 foot long branch into the ground with the tip of the branch pointing toward the sky. Backfill with amended dirt that will retain moisture. Then water it as needed. It will need a lot less water and care than in a pot and have a much better chance of living.

o
RE: propagating a weeping willow..

I just put them in a bucket of water and in 2-3 weeks they have roots and they're ready to go in the ground.

-Little John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here