Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liriope Propagation

Posted by phewmaster z6b PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 21:51

If I want to grow liriope in PA over the winter will it survive? I have several greenhouses that have clear plastic coverings. I want to take rooted cuttings and plant them in 3 inch plastic pots. Do you think they will be ok over the winter or do they need to be heated all the time? Please help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liriope Propagation

I live in a very warm climate, so I do not have any idea how cold it gets/stays in your greenhouses.

We do get freezing weather, and I do not heat my greenhouses at all. The difference is in how long it stays freezing up there.

Have you already divided your lirope? If not, it may be better to leave it in a big clump until spring, then divide it. I don't think it is likely to make a lot of growth anyway over winter. It would be easier to take care of if it is not in small pots over an extended cold spell.

Someone else might have other, better advice for you. It would just seem to me that this would be the best course of action.

Janie

o

I am not sure just where you are in PA, but mine has survived 2 winters in ground with no special care, other than waiting until spring to cut it back.

Gerry

o

I'm on the SE corner of the state in the colder part of zone 7. I have 3 varieties, and all are basically semi-invasive weeds here. No winter protection needed.

George

o

Overwintering in small pots, even when you take them in your plastic-greenhouse seems to me to be relatively difficult. I have not good results. But you can plant your pots directly in the soil, there you will have more success. Don't choose a too shady place, give them a little warmer place for the winter. And not too wet!Next spring you can do what you want with them.
Good luck!
rosacentifolia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here