Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to transplant 6' elderberry bush/tree

Posted by botemout 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 23:07

So we were out for a walk last week and there by the side of the road, almost in front of our property, were a couple of bushes which I believe are elderberry (I took a couple of pictures just now - see link below). What luck! I've been wanting to plant some elderberry bushes and there they are.

However, I have no idea how to move them from their present location to my yard. Do I have to take cuttings? Should I wait until next spring to transplant? I have a couple of books on berries that I'll consult but if anyone has any insight ...

Thanks
JR
http://picasaweb.google.com/botemout/Elderberry#

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to transplant 6' elderberry bush/tree

So I just read in _Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden_ by Lewis Hill that elderberry can be propogated using root cuttings. However, he doesn't mention at what time of year I can do this. Could I do it now, in the fall? Or, as I suspect, would one not plant in the fall since there would be no growth. So should I wait until spring to do take root cuttings?

thanks

o

See "Propagation" section in the document linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Elderberry Research....

o

Interesting link, Brandon. You must be a professional nurseryman, from the wide variety of information you post.

I was surprised to see that root cuttings of elderberries are supposed to be taken in March! As a novice hobbyist, I though all root cuttings were made in the Fall.

I, too, love elderberries and the shrubs. I'll be taking cuttings and planting some native blue elderberries soon at my place as well.

Rain2Fall

o

Well, as luck would have it, the county came by and cut down everything by the roads so that big elderberry bush is no more. I managed to grab the root ball though and planted some cuttings. I didn't know that I was supposed to take 'pencil size' roots so planted mostly smaller roots. Combined with the fact that they are fall planted, I don't have great hopes that anything will grow, but we'll see... thanks for the link to that great doc, brandon.

o

I linked to the photos you took of your plant and have to say I'm not sure that it's an elderberry. I don't know what it is. Elderberry leaves are pinnately compound and arranged in pairs on opposite sides of the stem. Below is a link to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elderberry leaves

o

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 8:21

My guess would be poke weed. Try googling them. If so should have plenty from seeding.
Pattie

o

That's not a elderberry in your picture.

o

The plant in the link you posted, botemout, is definitely pokeweed, which toxic - do not eat it. Pokeweed and Elderberry do share some visual similarities. However the easiest way to tell them apart is the structure of the berry cluster.

Elderberry clusters look like this: http://clarysageherbarium.com/blog/elderberry-super-flu-fighter

Pokeweed berry clusters look like this: http://www.finegardening.com/item/12265/american-pokeweed

Cheers.

o

hey nick.. this is a 4 year old post.. lol ...

winter must be tough and long.. for you to be this far back in the GW history of posts .. lol ..

yes its pokeweed.. seriously poisonous in every aspect... above ground.. underground.. berries.. and bird planted by the millions in my garden ... i hate them with the passion of a million burning suns ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here