Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea cutting has a different color flower from parent

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 23:14

Parent plant had orange flowers (bracts) and rooted cutting has lavender. How could this happen? I am sure I didn't get the cutting mixed up since I don't have a lavender to take cuttings from.

All I can think of is that it is growing conditions. The parent was in sandy soil, neglected and not fertilized. I put the cutting in potting mix and fertilized it with bougainvillea fertilizer. Could the soil/fertilizer have affected the flower (bract) color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea cutting has a different color flower from paren

It is reported that Hawaii.edu says that bracts change color but I don't have a PDF reader and cannot find any more information at this time. Try googling ~ variation in bougainvillea color ~.

o

I believe that Bougainvillea is often grafted. Is it possible you took your cuttings from below the orange bracted scion? That would give you plants the same colour as the common violet root stock.

o

the one thing that keeps coming to my mind.. is how flowers.. as they fade.. change colors ..

i surely have no experience with this zone plant.. but could a purple bract fade to orange.. over the bracts long life.. i seem to think these bracts do not fade as fast as other perennial/annual flower ... [thinking poinsettia here .. those bracts last forever ...]

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here