Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

How late to propagate in S Texas coast ???

jeep461
16 years ago

I tried my hand at propagation last year and wound up with a bunch of plants. I had some Rubber tree logs and Banyan logs I just stuck them in the ground and now I have trees. A few weeks ago I cut some oleander and chopped them up into 2' pieces and put them in a hole and now they are putting out new shoots. About 100 pieces. Now my Esperanza has been blooming like crazy and I want to chop it back and stick them in the ground and some figs tree cuttings from a friends house. It seems they do better to be cut and put in the ground than in pots and taken care of. I guess it has something to do with the constant temperature of the soil???

Anyone tried this method in the deep south?? It is too easy and I was wondering just how late in the year can I do this. If there is a freeze will it stop them from making roots?

Jim

Comments (11)

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Where are you on the coast, (if you don't mind sharing that info)? I am on the Texas coast as well, close to Port Lavaca.

I stick cuttings all year, but we garden all year too. I usually stick cuttings in pots for the greenhouse in winter, but I have good luck sticking things in the ground too. Keeping them watered is the key.

I have never grown esperanza from cuttings, but I would imagine they would be easy to root. They grow so easily from seeds, and they bloom the first year (usually).

You should be able to mulch the fig cuttings heavily and not have a problem with them in a freeze. Esperanza is a native in the Hill Country, I would think it would be hardy too. You could just try it to see what happens, and let us know what heppens.

Janie

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am a little further south in Aransas Pass. I have been planting everything that was in pots. My esperanza needs a good trimming. It is still blooming but I imagine it is about done for the year. It grew about 8-10 feet this year. It should produce 30-50 cuttings. I am also going to try NBJ direct in the ground cuttings. They grew great in pots as cuttings. I find it fascinating that I can chop up a plant and get about 30 from one. I done Brugmansia, willow, NBJ, honeysuckle, rubber tree, Banyan tree, Sea Grapes, oleander, Hibiscus, privet,and plumeria I believe that is about it. Started with brugs and this led to that.

Jim

• bja3908
    16 years ago

Jim like Janie we garden all year long. I start a lot of cutting in pots so I can move them if needed. But oleander, and fig I start year round in the ground. In the years we do get a freeze I just cover them with hay and have had good luck. Rose's I plant in beds and put a gal. jar over them come spring I have rose's to trade and give away. Rubber trees I start and keep in pots I do have several in the yard but never started any right in the ground. Might try that this year.
    Bobby

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had way too many limbs and cuttings so I decided to bury the trunks now I have trees. I did a 4" thick Banyan Limb it is now a tree. Will they rubber and Banyan die if they freeze? I love roses but they just die here. I will never put another in the ground only a pot. They grow great in pots. I want to do some Plumeria cuttings in the ground but it is gambling so I will maybe try a few. What else can be done in the ground.

Ps: I cloned some tomato plants just for fun in pots and by air layering.

Jim

• bja3908
    16 years ago

Jim
    You got it bad thats ok must of us do. I keep cutters bags and boxs in my truck and Claudia s car get a lot of cutting off trimings people have put by the side of the road.
    Never had any esperanza will have to trade for some this year. Plumeria cutting do better in pots so you can control the water they rot very fast.
    Get a copy of " Secrets of Plant Propagation" by Lewis Hill, CR 1985. I got mine 20 years ago and still use it weekly.
    Bobby

• little_dani
    16 years ago

There is something about that pruned material that screams "Don't throw me away!" At least that is what I hear.

I stick so much that I am out of room, then give a lot away, or sell a little, but I cannot resist sticking more cuttings when I have things to prune.

Janie

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I may have to put that on my Christmas wish list. I usually hit the dump in Port Aransas after Christmas in January, February, or March. They throw tons of tropical stuff away plus free mulch. My yard was oaks and some sticks last year at this time. I propagated everything. I need to cut back some stuff like confederate roses, Night blooming Jasmine, brugmansia, bougainvilleas, Hybiscus, etc. I got my fig tree cuttings Yesterday. I guess I will leave the Plumeria to pots. I played with some different propagation methods earlier this year and killed a few. I have some Chalice vines I want to try. I do not know if they will make it through a freeze. I imagine the roots will. I guess I do need a good book on propagation. It does scream at me but not as bad since I have several hundred plants now. Just bought some store Ginger to grow plants. LOL I like their foliage. I had a few natives that I did not know what they were, I was surprised. I am hunting variegated plants now. I am glad I have plenty of land and water is from a well and cheap.

Jim

• bja3908
    16 years ago

I try bougainvilleas every year and only get about 50% if you do better let me know how. Plant the figs just have someway to cover them by the end of the week. I am going to start some roses today if the rain lets me.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I always do a bunch so it is survival of the fittest. My figs will be planted later tonight. 1st break in the weather. I have plenty of covers. I use plastic 30 gallon drums cut in half. Not pretty but it is pretty urban here. LOL Makes a nice little portable greenhouse. They are white so light shines through.

Jim

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I wound up buying the book off ebay. I need some winter reading. I can do a book or two a day if it is real nasty outside.

Jim

• little_dani
    16 years ago

About the bougainvillas-

Try letting them set in a jar of water spiked with some 'SuperThrive'. Then do the rooting hormone, and stick them as usual.

My friend who has a wholesale nursery has started growing them, and this is what he tells me. Says it makes all the difference.

Janie