Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironhat2

Late season propagation

ironhat2
16 years ago

I live in Zone 8 in the Gulf South and we have mild winters at best. I have read books where some professional nurseries have used mist propagation into late winter with success.

Has anyone used this type propagation in my region this late in the year outside or in a cold frame with any degree of success?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

Although we are not in your zone... we use a cold frame to propogate many evergreen plants at this time without misting But do use bottom heat.... Inside the greenhouse we use a mist to propagate many plants including tropicals.
    We do not mist any plants "outside" any time of the year. its to hard to control heat, temp & water..
    So go ahead & use either a "greenhouse" or cold frame to propagate almost any plant you wish.

• ironhat2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

georgez5il,

Thanks for the reply. I have used small low hoop cold frames to warehouse and propagate hardwood cuttings over the last 2 years with mixed results. The main problem was it was a learning process for me.

I am finishing a small hoop house and would like to have some propogation going on in part of it. I am also upgrading my timer to one that will give me less mist over
    the time it is on than the one I am currently using.

I had read in a book written years ago by some growing plants commerically that they misted right up to hard freezes.

Dan

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Propagation without mist (or other humidity control) can work this time of year but can also be a problem. The humidity for the area can remain between 70 and 90% for three or four days and have a wind direction change drop it to 25% in 3 or 4 hours. Suddenly you wish you could just turn on the misters. Al

• Donna
    16 years ago

I am totally small potatoes, but I have good luck with sweat boxes out on my back porch with alot of things in the winter: roses, weigela, chaemycyparis, etc. They are sheltered from winter sun and wind, and seem to love the "cold", which can be down into the twenties sometimes at night, even lower, but not normally for many hours.

• ironhat2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DB,

My small cold frames worked basically the same in pricipal as your sweat boxes, I think. My frames have been in full sun which allows the heat to build up in them during the day and heat plants and soil in containers. I try to fill my CF completely full so the plants themselves and soil can hold as much heat as possible. As heat builds during the day, moisture forms on the inside of the plastic and keeps it humid inside for the plants. The plants love it and do well in the mild winters we have here. On cold nights, I do like grandma did and cover the frame with blankets and tarps.

I have had mixed results propagating hardwood cuttings during the winter in pots/cups. As I said I am in a learning curve and welcome any advice as to what anyone has had success in propagating during the winter months.

Dan

• Baylady
    16 years ago

What is a sweat box? Is it some kind of container covered in plastic or like Jamie's shoebox setup?
    Thanks,
    Linda