Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinfleur

Please help! Trying not to mess up propg of cherry tree sentiment

JardinFleur
9 years ago

Hi there - very much need help or at least reassurance. I am trying to successfully propagate from a clipping a cherry tree that has sentimental value to my husband. Photo of original tree attached.

We moved out of his home into a new one when we got married last year. When we drove by a few months later, the new owner had chopped ALL of the branches off the GORGEOUS cherry tree that had been the crowning glory of the front yard. We both sobbed.

It was an accident on their part, however we suspect the tree will not make it. They allowed an arborist and ourselves to take several cuttings a few months ago to try to propagate.

The arborist said all of his died. He had given us one.... when it didn't seem to be working, I pulled it out of the dirt, slicked a slit in the bottom of the twig to give it more "surface area", dipped it in my own rooting powder, re-planted in soil and put in brighter light on pebbles with water in them/increased moisture and humidity.

Dare I say I think IT IS WORKING! When I tug on the twig, it will not pull out, and it looks like there is a little hair/string coming off the bark. It is very cold here now, even in our house, and I am not sure how to keep the magic alive! Should I put it on a heating mat? Or will that harm it at this point?

My husband loves this tree so much, he thinks of it as representing our love. He's vowed to keep this twig till it turns to dust, even if we can't make it re-root. I would really, really like to not screw this up at this point. Any guidance on light, warming mat, if I should let it get less light now that we are in winter- anything - would be so helpful. Thanks!

Comments (3)