Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca cuttings-Will This Work?

Posted by Nora_54 z5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 10:06

My son and DIL want to propagate vinca vine cuttings with the goal of planting them out in the spring. They took stem cuttings and are trying to get them to root first in water, in the house in front of their patio doors, where they get plenty of light, but not direct sunlight. Once the cuttings have grown roots, their plan is to plant them in soil and move them to the unheated basement. Should this work and do they need to use lamps, rooting hormone or special soil? It is a Michigan basement with no windows. Any other ideas to improve their chances of success? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca cuttings-Will This Work?

Vinca roots easily.Being winter hardy it should be O.K. to keep them in basement.Keep some of them in kitchen area where it will root little earlier.

Good Luck

o

Too bad you're too far away I've been ripping it out, besides that it has been growing wild (invasive) in the woods.

o

they have michigan basements in IN???

i dont have specifics answers on vinca ... or growing anything in a MI basement ...

but you might get a little further if you define for our worldwide audience ... exactly what the parameters of a MI basement are ....

as i recall them .. they are fieldstone stacked rock basements barely holding 50 degrees all winter.... dank.... dark and low ventilation ...

is this a good atmosphere for propagation ... all you vinca pro's????

i would think it is too cold for fast propagation ....

i you probably need supplemental light .... of which i have no insight ...

good luck... ken

PS: they usually have the same smell as a bag of damp peat moss ... at least those are the basements i remember ....

o

Once rooted they should be fine, but will need light.

o

In their case the "Michigan" basement is stacked cut fieldstone (not the whole rock)-very beautiful, and dry. It is rather tall with adequate head clearance for my 6' tall son. Anyone have any idea on what type of lights they should use?

Thank you very much.

o

I should think your average shop light would do just fine for this, but you'd need one that was rated for lower temps. I had a set that died prematurely due to being run at temps (unheated family room, getting down to around 45F. on the coldest nights) outside their preferred range.

Truth be told, the vinca will probably live, and root, even without light, but it will be awfully stretched by the time you put it out. The stuff lives amazingly long when confined in a black plastic bag!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here