Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivilet

How do I root Angel Trumpet and Confederate Rose

vivilet
18 years ago

What is the best way to root Angel Trumpets and Confererate rose? I have had some people to tell me, put them in jars with water indoors. Others have said just put them in the ground. Does anyone know the best way to root them over the winter???

Comments (8)

• Hollywog
    18 years ago

I've never done it, but the confederate rose is supposed to be ridiculously easy to root in water on a warm, sunny window sill.

• kayinms
    18 years ago

Yes, I have had that experience with Confederate Rose. Mine rooted faster than any other plant I've ever rooted.

Which "angel trumpet" are you attempting to root, brugmansia or datura? Datura is an annual and is grown from seeds. I've never had any luck trying to overwinter them.

Brugmansia is a perenial. In the warmer months, ie. spring and summer, they root quite easily in either water or soil. If you use the water method, remove all leaves except for the top leaf since they will lose their moisture by transpiration through the leaves. They need a leaf left because that is what manufactures their food. Put the cutting in about 1-1.5 inches of water in a clear glass or jar. Keep out of the sun and keep it away from cold. Change the water every day. Watch for the bottom of the cutting softening. If it does this, it might be beginning to rot. If this happens, cut the stem off above where the rot started, put in a clean glass and try again. With a little luck, sometime soon the plant will begin to develop little white bumps (lenticils), which are the beginnings of roots. If you wish, you can go ahead and pot the plant up at this time, or you can wait until actual roots develop. After the plant is rooted, slowly introduce it to more sunlight every day. These plants are heavy feeders and when growing, most require a good deal of water.

You can also prepare the cutting the same way and plant directly in soil in a pot. Most brugs like a fair amount of water, so keep it moist, but not soggy for most of them. A few brugs prefer to be on the dry side while they are rooting. The ones I know require this are L'Amour and Hawaiian White, and Culebra. Usually the first sign of growth will be the develpment of leaves.

Let me add that this time of year, brug cuttings are often very difficult to root using any method. If you have this problem, please don't get discouraged. Try again in spring and you will see how easily they root!

Good luck!

Kay

• baci
    18 years ago

You could probably root them indoors in water if you add an air stone to your water solution. Keep the water clean, & toss the cutting if any algae develops. Once bumps or roots start to develop you can stick it in a pot with dirt. I am still rooting Confederate rose cuttings outside with this method. Temps are in the 40Âs at night, so I will soon move them into a greenhouse.

• Millie_36
    18 years ago

Vivilet, check out the Brugmansia (angel trumpet) forum..search for "Bucket of Brugs". The answer is, yes, you can do them in water over winter. You can either change the water every 2 or 3 days, or use an air stone as was suggested above. I have cut the entire plant down, trimmed off all new growth (kind of like a good pruning job) and have 5' tall plants standing in 4" of water in a bucket with air stones to keep the water fresh.

• soundgarden
    18 years ago

I have to say that AT are one of the easiest plants I have ever prop'd. You can either root the in plain old water, or potting soil.
    Annie

• David_Rowe
    18 years ago

IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM--- BEFORE THE FIRST FROST IN YOUR AREA CUT A LIMB DIG A SIX INCH WIDE SIX INCH DEEP HOLE AS LONG AS THE LINB YOU HAVE CUT MIX COMPOSTED COW MANURE AND DIRT FROM THE HOLE 1/2 DIRT 1/2 MANURE FILL HOLE 1/2 FULL WITH MIX PUT CUTTING INTO HOLE FILL HOLE WITH SECOND 1/2 OF MIX THEN COVER WITH 6 TO 8 INCHS OF MULCH.THIS HAS NEVER FAILED FOR ME IN N.C. I GET 6 TO 8 NEW PLANTS EVERY TIME. REMOVE THE MULCH WHEN DANGER OF FROST IS OVER THEN JUST DIG UP THE PLANTS WITH A SHARP SPADE WHEN THEY ARE ABOUT 10 INCHS TALL IN THE SPRING. I HAVE HAD VERY LITTLE SUCCESS WITH THE WATER ROOTING THEY ROOT WELL BUT I HAVE HAD ALOT OF ROOTINGS DIE WHEN I WENT TO POT THEM HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

These are two of the easiest plants you will ever root.
    Brugs: Look at the stems. They have a tan netting on the stems much like a canteloupe. Use only those pieces which have netting. These root easily. Cut 10 inch pieces and stick them into sand. Keep the soil moist. Put them in a warm, sunny window, a sun room or greenhouse. In a few weeks they will sprouting green leaves. I cut brugs in late October and I have lots of 1 inch leaves right now. By the time it is warm enough to plant them outside, they wil have good root systems. The roots are tender, so carefully transplant them.

Confederate Rose: Another easy plant. Use the larger diameter stems. You can plant them like the brugs. Put them in a warm, sunny window, sun room, greenhouse or under a fluorescent light. Keep soil moist. In 6 weeks you will have leaves. Roots are extremely tender, so be careful when tranplanting.

Confederate rose may be placed in a bucket of water in a cool, dark place until spring. Brugs can be kept in water, but some may rot.

• ladebugz
    15 years ago

Brugmansia roots almost on contact, just be mindful to remove all but one leaf....a good rule of thumb is to make sure the "roots balance the shoots". Dont want too many dependents (leaves), till you have a way to support them (roots). Datura over winters here well, the white D.innoxia being almost a most beautiful invasive, ( a night bloomer too! ) Confederate rose in water with some liquid rooting hormones is almost no fail. ......btw...im very glad to find this site....by far the best yet!! thanks

Sponsored