Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jade plant propagation -- the variegated one

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 11:14

ok.. mine is completely neglected ... one would think it would have appreciated that.. lol ... [i think it got over-watered.. and in consideration of such.. under-watered ...]

in an effort to save something .. i cut 3 stem pieces.. with bud and two leaves .. and 'stuck' them in damp potting media ...

along with 3 leaves ...

all in a small square pot.. what ... 2.5 inches ...

the question is ... insert in plastic bag for humidity.. since they have no roots ...

or since they dont like all that much humidity.. leave it uncovered ...

and BTW .. should i have let the cuts dry ...???

my plan is to ignore them for a few months ... other than some water.. and hope for the best ... lol ... hopefully mom wont die in the interim ...

thx

ken

ps: there are 3 more cuttings on momma.. should this fail wildly ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jade plant propagation -- the variegated one

There's a ton of info on the cacti/succulent forum about jade propagation in particular.

o

thx for the quick answer

ken

o

No, there is no need for the bag.

Yes, you should have let the cut dry.

You may still have good luck with these since they are so easy to grow from cuttings, but, if not, try it next time with letting the cuts seal up before planting. I always let mine sit out for at least one day (longer with larger cuttings).

o

thx brandon.. i will just go pull them out.. and let them dry overnight ...

ken

ps: and then find them in a week or two .. lol ...

o

Oh yes, that reminds me, I have succulent cuttings that have been waiting for me for about a month now. They are still alive, but probably firmly believe they have been forever forgotten. Every time I water plants (and see them), I get this guilty feeling.

o

They are still alive, but probably firmly believe they have been forever forgotten. Every time I water plants (and see them), I get this guilty feeling.

==>> sounds like my tree pruning regimen.. lol .. it never seems to actually get done.. just guilt ... lol

ken

o

It still looks ok for now....... Should I just let it go w/ less water ? It was outside & believe it got too much water this Summer. I have moved it indoors for Winter. PS. Thank u for quick reply to a novice, Gator!
Is their anything I can do to help it stay healthy ??

o

update ..

the cut babes.. immediately improved on 'sticking' them .. all of a sudden.. they were turgid.. full of water ..

while momma continues to collapse .. when i get my act together.. and actually see a root on a babe.. i will harvest the rest of the good pieces on mom.. STICK those.. and get rid of her ...

but just before that.. i will tear apart her root mass.. and see if i rotted it all off.. with too much water ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here