Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evolvulus glomeratus Hawaiian Blue Eyes

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:02

for years... i have had this in a hanging basket ... new plants every spring ... they dont quite make it thru 2 years ...

usually bring the pot in for winter ...

i suspect roots fill it entirely.. as i needs to be watered twice a day ...

i have never been able to root pieces ... google says softwood cuttings ...

i have a pot .. i have media.. and i have a source ...

whats your best suggestion for how to go about it.. so i can chuck momma out the door .. lol ...

plastic bag for greenhouse???

see link for the plant.. a precious blue in the garden ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evolvulus glomeratus Hawaiian Blue Eyes

Try soil layering as in: rough up the soil in a pot, remove the leaves where the limb touches the soil, dust with rooting hormone, cover with soil, secure with a hair pin wire, and keep it watered - they should root in about 2 weeks or so.

o

at google .... i saw that they root in from branches laying on the soil surface ... but my plant.. is about 12 inches from the edge of the hanging pot ... and nothing above the pot.. is flexible enough to bend to the soil.. which is probably so root-choked.. i couldnt scratch the surface if i wanted ...

but you have inspired thought.. as to a second pot ... hmmm.. going to have to mull this out ... bobby pins.. a whole McGyver thing.. lol...

any other ideas??? .. i am willing to try multiple ways.. as i usually suggest.. experiment ...

ken

o

Well, if it's pot-bound, why haven't you put it in a bigger pot? When you repot it, divide it and replant in separate pots.

o

man kay.. you are just full of answers ... or something.. lol ..

i dont want a bigger HANGING BASKET ... because bigger wont fit indoors on the plant stand.. nor will bigger fit outdoors ... [it about shelf depth.. and hanging out into the room.. not side to side ]

what i think will work.. since i have a duplicate pot.. and space NEXT to the other.. is that i will set it next to the plant.. which reaches 8 to 10 inches past the basket ... and root it in.. and when it looks all set.. cut the umbilical.. and move on with life.. mine and its ...

thanks for the help ...

now.. it will probably take me weeks to actually do this.. so if anyone has any other ideas.. let me know ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here