Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stunmilie

nurse grafting advice wanted

stunmilie
17 years ago

I am writing a handbook to explain grafting and budding to the amateur gardener. I have never carried out nurse-grafting, but would like to cover the subject. In the past, I have rind grafted pear scions onto Loquat rootstock and it has worked. That genetic compatibility plus the large seeds and fast germination of the Loquat, suggest to me that it may be a potentially good nurse root for pears apples quince etc until the scions have had time to produce their own roots. Has anyone tried it, or hold a view on the subject?

Comments (5)

• terryb
    17 years ago

stunmile, I myself never did any grafting and have only limited knowledge on it. I do see a lot of info on it from time to time, and have seen that they do have to be match to what they are being grafted to. Maybe do a google search on it and see what comes up.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Though the plants you mention can be successfully grafted to Loquat, I doubt that you will see it done much. The opposite is common, though.

Remember the primary reason for a nurse graft....helping a slow-to-root species to survive until it has rooted. Apples, pears, and quinces all root from cuttings quite readily....reducing the need for a nurse grafting at all. It is Loquat that needs the nursing, lol.

Quince is used fairly commonly.

Does that make sense? I can't document that theory, but when you put one and one together......

• stunmilie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts.

I must be doing something wrong because I have not had any success with pomme tree cuttings. Hardwood-cuttings have always either rotted, or the buds wilted, before roots had grown.

I have a bit of precious apricot scion material, but no suitable seedlings as rootstock. There are tons of damson and cherry-plum seeds in the fridge for next year, and it would be good to use some to get a few dozen apricot trees by next summer, using the seeds for nurse root or nurse nut grafts. It seems feasible in principle, does it not?. The intended scion donor tree was grown by me from seed and it has performed amazingly well on its own roots, so I am quite keen to clone it.

There doesn't seem to be much posted on the Internet about nurse-grafting. I suspect that it no longer has a commercial value and has been replaced by Hi-tech cell-cloning technologies. Nevertheless I would still like to give some coverage of the subject in my handbook, if I can gather enough factual information.

• sam_md
    17 years ago

The only time nurse grafting makes sense is when you eventually want the scion to root in. Many fruit trees including citrus, grape vines and even roses are grafted or budded for a specific reason. The understock may impart a degree of dwarfness, disease or nematode resistance or a superior root system. You don't want the scion on its own roots. In the case of budding, the crew is kept busy in the Summer time with no special facilities required. Many trees result from one budstick.
    Nurse grafting is labor intensive and requires a longer production period. It is only practiced when there is simply no other alternative.
    Sam

• rjohnson_martinmethodist_edu
    13 years ago

I HAVE DONE THIS PROCEEDURE WITH AMERICAN CHESNUT INTO CHINESE CHESNUT SEED WITH LIMITED SUCESS. IT REQUIRES A MIST BED IN A GREENHOUSE. THERE IS A PROCEEDURE IN 'NORTHERN NUT GROWERS JOURNAL' PRIOR TO 1972. GOOD LUCK, RALPH JOHNSON

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor