Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding tree seeds (oaks, esp.) of local provenance

Posted by Sarah80 5b OH (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 13:07

I might try my hand at growing some acorns with my kids as a project. I'm particularly interested in locally sourced acorns. For some trees I can find them walking around, but others, like Shumard Oaks, whose native range is a hundred or so miles west of me, I can't.

As some of you may know, it seems oaks, in particular the red oaks, are pH sensitive and often adapt depending on seed source...a Pin or Shumard originating from a neutral to alkaline soil area would fare better than one originating in an acid soil area if your own soil is alkaline. Mine leans alkaline a bit, so I'd want to obtain seed from as similar of an area as possible.

Are there nurseries, clubs, etc that can supply such seeds, and also state the location from where they were obtained?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding tree seeds (oaks, esp.) of local provenance

Sarah, have you tried the seed forum? I have a ton of oaks on my property, but not sure they'd fare very well in OH.

Darren

o
RE: Finding tree seeds (oaks, esp.) of local provenance

As you are looking for locally produced seed, phone your county extension service and ask for references to trees in your area where you might be able to collect seed. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here