Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mum Cuttings: How do you end up with full plants?

Posted by debndulcy 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 14:56

I rooted mum cuttings again this year and as I look at the size of my resulting plants compared to those from nurseries, I find myself wondering why... They look really scraggly in comparison.

Is there something I'm not doing? After planting rooted pots (later fall or early spring) I clip them back (on the recommended schedule, though these never have much size to start with) through summer, and keep them up like all others... but the results just aren't great.

How can I do better with the effort I put into them?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mum Cuttings: How do you end up with full plants?

debndulcy, The best thing you can do is just be patient. It's going to take a few years before your new plants will take off. You have to consider that you've just taken away your plants access to nutrients and it has to start all over just like a seed would. Look at how many roots are on the plants you buy, this doesn't happen overnight it takes a long time and a lot of man hours to get those plants looking that good.Then look at how few roots are on your cuttings. You've already done the hard part now just take good care of them for about 2 or 3 years they will be fine. Regular fertilizing and watering is the fastest way along with long hours of light. Long hours under lights will make the difference I'm sure. I have some hydrangea cuttings that I've been nursing for 2 years and they may finally be able to be put in the ground next year. I hope. I just stuck some mum cuttings about 3 or 4 weeks ago and still have my fingers crossed. Anyway Good Luck and just have fun with it.

o
RE: Mum Cuttings: How do you end up with full plants?

Thanks for the perspective, boomantoo. Maybe I don't have enough sun to bring newly started plants to their best, though nursery-bought ones come back year to year, beautifully full in the same garden areas. I was wondering if I should be fertilizing or 'fortifying' them in some way I'm missing.

Best of luck with you hydrangeas... I love growing them from cuttings, too, and they 'expand' and grow fuller, thicker root balls, stems and flowers by 3 years than my mums started the same way! Yep, it does take time and work! I keep trying to do what I do better, and make it the most worthwhile (as it sounds you do)!

Thanks again -

D.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here