Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basil_davis2

rooting I just got a big basket of Chrysanthemum on sale.

basil_davis2
12 years ago

I just got a big basket of Chrysanthemum on sale.

The flowers are mostly dead but all the leaves are green.

Can I take a lot of cutting and root them now?

If so, what the best way to root them this time of year?

Comments (14)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Below is a link with the answer to your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Answers Here

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

they root rather easily in water ... or damp media in a pot under a plastic bag ....

but where are you ... it is winter.. what are you planning on doing with a bazillion rootlings???

here in MI .. i would be asking how to winter it over.. to take cuttings in about march or april .... not now ...

brandon .... what a card ...

ken

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in North Carolina about middle of the state.
    I not sure where I will plant all of them.
    I live on 10 acres but most of the land so hard it want perk.

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

See this link for a good method to propagate a few plants. I hadn't heard of the Forsythe Pot until I came across the following post.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg0910334716621.html?11

I have a couple of Chrysanthemums in pots on my open front porch. I should have already prepared them to make it through the winter, but I haven't yet. I am in Missouri.

I broke off a couple of the ends of one of the Chrysanthemums and stuck them in a Forsythe pot with some other flowers that were already started. The pieces were probably 3 inches or less in length. I didn't use rooting hormone nor give them much attention when I stuck them in the Forsythe pot. It's been a couple of weeks now and they are green and doing good. All of this is under a grow light.

12 years ago

experiment ...

snip two or three 4 inch pieces .... slice end with razor on angle .... insert in glass of water ... removing any leaves below water ...

as soon as you see tiny root nodes.. insert in a pot of damp media ... and tent under a plastic bag ...

when they get too gangly... do it again.. once once rooted ... throw out the previous .... and then do it again.. and again .. until it is a good time to plant outdoors ...

since you are much more temperate than MI .. perhaps you will not be overwhelmed with them in the house until late may ...

once you are getting real close to outdoor time.. increase the volume.. should you wish many ...

put the pot outside.. where it pot itself will not get sunshine.. and make sure it doesnt get too wet.. nor too dry ....

this way.. if the pot dies... you have some rooted ones ...

ken

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just did 20 cutting for now. After I see how they do, I may do lots more.

For for all the help.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Basil, I have tons of Chrysanthemum Sheffield if you want to trade. If not, you are welcome to have it for postage. E-mail me if interested.
    Natalie

12 years ago

are they standing in constant water???

once throughly saturated.. excess water should probably be removed.. since they are covered ...

fear success.. lol ...

ken

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken,
    Yes they were standing in water.
    19 of the 20 died.
    I then sprayed with fungicide and took 19 more cutting.
    So one still alive since Nov25 and 19 still alive for about a week.

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natalie4b,

I don't want to get more cutting at this time.
    I think the ones I have are pink Chrysanthemum Sheffield (not sure).

12 years ago

check out the link

you failed.. because doctor.. you didnt sterilize the operating room before you did the surgery ...

dampen the media ... and then sterilize the media ...

and then sterilize the pots, container and top with 10% bleach ...

and then start over ...

and in an enclosed container.. they do NOT need to be standing in water.. they are not aquatics ...

if properly damp .. the soil will most likely not need more water.. until the top stops fogging ...

keeping the system warm may also help .... especially at night.. if your thermostat kicks the house heat down ... in other words.. if they are near a window.. they may be getting too cold at night ...

i always found experimenting fun ... i hope you do also ...

are you providing supplemental light????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• eahamel
    12 years ago

They're easy to root in dirt. I did some outdoors in a large pot with other established plants, but it's way too cold where you are to do that! I broke them off a neighbor's plant and stuck them in a pot in my front yard and they rooted fast and are blooming now.

I hope you still have some cuttings alive. I'm not a fan of rooting in water because the roots formed in water aren't the same as roots formed in dirt.

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

eahamel, my cutting were almost dead when I cut them to put them in pots.
    They did liven up some when I first planted them but I may not get any to root this time of year here in NC.
    Most all outdoors chrysanthemum are dead here (maybe just a little green at ground level).
    Maybe I can do better next spring.

Ken, It is somewhat cold where they are. I was thinking about putting heating pad under them. I not going to worry about them. If they don't root this winter, I try again next spring.

12 years ago

It is somewhat cold where they are. I was thinking about putting heating pad under them.

===>>> and ignore all the rest of what i suggested.. or in addition??? .. lol .. i dont really care .. dont get me wrong ...

i am glad you arent going to worry about them.. as i said.. experimenting is fun ...

now.. a plant mat with heat .. or some garage sale heat pad for grandma's corns??????

my heat MAT was from a beer making/hydroponics store .. used to sprout whatever for the beer [barley/malt???] .. and is a mat which generates 72 degrees ...

we want to heat.. not cook them ... too much heat .. with the closed top .. might be a killer ... i think they call it a convection oven .. lol ...

have fun

ken