Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lar_1985

Algerian Ivy

LAR_1985
10 years ago

Hello. I ordered an Algerian ivy plant, or so I thought, and the seller just sent me a vine with roots attached and 7 big leaves. Currently it is climbing up the bedroom wall and is situated next to a north facing window. My question is, will this one vine in time turn into a hardy robust plant as an indoor houseplant?

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

LAR, you've left out information that we'd need to know to be of much help. New York has a broad range of climates. Hardiness zones range from as warm as 7b (Long Island) to as cold as 3b (central North Country). Where you are will have a LOT to do with whether you might be able to grow your vine outside, year round.

It would also be helpful to know exactly what you had. At least a cultivar name would possibly lead to references for hardiness. Many typical Algerian ivies have a rating of around zone 7.

I'm also unsure of how to take the line, "...will this one vine in time turn into a hardy robust plant as an indoor houseplant?" Are you asking if the vine will grow into a larger plant, or if it is/will be hardy enough to plant outside, or what?

This post was edited by brandon7 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 23:38

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

We have a lot of this ivy, much more than we want. My folks planted it 60 years ago as a ground cover to prevent erosion. It certainly does that! The freeways in the area also plant it for the same reason. In 1990 we had a 'one hundred year freeze' which killed all the freeway ivy, but not ours which was much more established. It takes a lot of effort to keep it in bounds. Any tree in its path it will climb, up to about 20 to 30 feet. I would not plant it, it is very difficult to remove, permanently. Al

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

your sheetrock, if you have that, wood or even stone walls could take serious damage. i hope you own your home. I have a few stumps indoors where i am letting my ivy grow indoors. it will not be allowed to touch the wall. there are companies that sell living walls. that is what you may need to look up. eventually i will have a stump covered in ivy, great,but,the ivy lives a long time, so hanging baskets will be in the future for cuttings. you could successfully have ivy growing lush and contained all throughout your home from a single plant. one huge ivy collection from one plant. again i am assuming this is algerian. then again i still don't know. mine is growing pretty quick... lol. this might in the final decision turn out to be baltic. idk.