Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet vine never has seed pods

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga Ca (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 19:26

My Royal Purple (Blue?) trumpet vine has plenty of flowers but never any seeds. I haven't seen any hummingbirds around and don't know if anything else can pollinate them. Often I see ants in the flowers, and I've also tried many times to hand pollinate them...but nothing is working.

Any suggestions?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet vine never has seed pods

w/o a botanical latin name.. its hard to look it up for you ...

perhaps your blue version is sterile ....

as the breeders move from the plain old color [red???] .. to the more exotic.. it is very common for the end effect to be that the plant is sterile ....

that is presuming that your z9 trumpet vine.. is the same plant i know as trumpet vine.. here in z5 MI ... common names can be very problematic ...

if you dont have the name.. a pic might get you an ID ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

o

Why not take cuttings? Most vines root easily and it would be much quicker than growing from seed. (Is it Distictis 'Rivers'?)

o

Is this your vine!
Distictis rivers * Royal Trumpet Vine

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 19:02

It is Distictis Rivers...I hadn't thought of cuttings because of the size of the plant, but it's probably time to try that. However, I just want to know what it takes to get this trumpet vine to produce seeds. It's become a challenge to figure this out.

o

The only thing that I can come up with is that it needs the right pollinators before they will make seeds pods. Seems that the Humming Bird is the #1 pollinator for this plant.
Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here